help for fat fish

Reaction score
I thought this was a shbunkin who was going to have babies, but I just read shubunkin have eggs, this one always lay fry.
have had babies every spring and fall for about 5 years. Our weather turned warm,water was about 65 for about a week ( aobut the time she started getting fat) very early then cooled off and even snowed.water dropped to 45
is she waiting for the water to warm up again or is she sick?
she is so fat her scales have seperated!
have about 20 fish bought at various times but now not sure which are koi, shbunkin, commets or gold fish!
some are over 10 years some from babies (some born black and change colors) 100_5956.jpg100_5957.jpg100_5958.jpglast year.

Reaction score
how is the fish acting , is she sinking to bottom or only staying at surface , are the scales making her look " pinecone like" if she is having babies and laying eggs its not certain you would notice and they hatch after only a few days so it could look like "all of a sudden " you have fry ... The fish i see in the picture looks a lot more like a Koi than a shubunkin but i could be wrong

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It would seem that you have the world's only livebearing koi!!! :wink:
But seriously, the fish IS a koi, and looks to be a female carrying eggs. If her scales on the belly are separating or raising, so that she looks like a pinecone, then she could be suffering from dropsy, which is nearly always fatal.
John

Reaction score
how is the fish acting , is she sinking to bottom or only staying at surface , are the scales making her look " pinecone like" if she is having babies and laying eggs its not certain you would notice and they hatch after only a few days so it could look like "all of a sudden " you have fry ... The fish i see in the picture looks a lot more like a Koi than a shubunkin but i could be wrong
she is swimming around some but mostly stays under a floating island. she kind of lists to one side a little. what is dropsy and what can I do?

Reaction score
Listing ? is she arching ? seems like she is getting ready to release her eggs she is staking out her spot to leave them ( this is normal) .. As for Dropsy you'll know if she has it as her scales will stand out "like a pinecone" not lay flat against her body , unfortunately not a lot can be done for Dropsy , But i am sure there are some in this forum that have some ideas , I am NO EXPERT!! and you would do well heeding the advice of those that are better qualified than i .... start a new thread show pictures of the fish and label the thread with the words Dropsy or not ?

Reaction score
Keep in mind that dropsy is only a symptom just as bloated is a symptom.
Listing ? is she arching ? seems like she is getting ready to release her eggs she is staking out her spot to leave them ( this is normal) .. As for Dropsy you'll know if she has it as her scales will stand out "like a pinecone" not lay flat against her body , unfortunately not a lot can be done for Dropsy , But i am sure there are some in this forum that have some ideas , I am NO EXPERT!! and you would do well heeding the advice of those that are better qualified than i .... start a new thread show pictures of the fish and label the thread with the words Dropsy or not ?
she is swimming around some but mostly stays under a floating island. she kind of lists to one side a little. what is dropsy and what can I do?
I have added salt and think I got her enough room ot lay her eggs. Hopefully this will help, its just to early for much plant life yet so I hope I have given her enough roots and stuff t6o lay. we will see

Ask a Question