HELP! Goldfish or Koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A year ago my significant other bought a "goldfish" from Walmart and since then we have had troubles believing that it is an actual goldfish. It is now almost 7 inches long, has small whiskers maybe about 2-4, seems to be very aggressive. It likes to suck on the rocks at the bottom of the tank and spit them out, it splashes like crazy, so much so that it will get me wet from time to time. We have never had a goldfish act like this or even have whiskers. I am worried that if it is a koi I don't know what we would do considering that a 55 gallon tank would be way too big in our apartment. So far we only have a 15 gallon tank that is obviously too small at this point. The body shape of the fish seems longer as well. I need all the advice I can get and will gladly post photos if needed!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes,it is almost certainly a Koi if it has two (2) sets of barbels (whiskers); one set at the corners of the mouth and another smaller set just up and back from the mouth. These may or may not be noticeable on a 7 inch fish however. A hybrid may or may not have barbels (whiskers) but then only one set at the corners of the mouth. Goldfish have none.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it's a koi you better make plans on finding it a new home as it will quickly outgrow that tank! The store you bought it from might take it in for trade on other fish or maybe another pet store. Would like to see a photo of it and where do you live?
Maybe someone who lives close by will take it off your hands

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
15 gallon tank
Would like to also point out depending on the type of fish, unless you have about a 30 gallon tank fish under 5" are the only ones really suitable for a 30 gallon tank for example. for a 15 gallon reconsider getting something along the lines of 100 :)

Ask a Question