Help Help Shubumpkin

Reaction score
This moring I noticed my shubumpkin is constantly being chased by my 4 other connellys. It's like there are all taking turns trying to wear him down to kill him, I tried to take him out of the pond but I just can't catch him. It also seems that the subumpkin has a white spot by his rear fin, not sure it has anything to do with it for any attraction.

any ideas?

Thanks

David

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Not sure what a "connelly" is, but if your shubunkin is a female, they are likely males breeding with her, waiting for her to release her eggs to spawn them, or EAT them! More than likely she is fine. If, however, your other fish that are chasing are not some sort of carp (goldfish, koi, etc.) then you may have a problem. If they are in the same carp family, relax, they are likely "having fun", just looks rough. And, good news is that it only usually lasts a day or two.
WELCOME!!!

Reaction score
Not sure what a "connelly" is, but if your shubunkin is a female, they are likely males breeding with her, waiting for her to release her eggs to spawn them, or EAT them! More than likely she is fine. If, however, your other fish that are chasing are not some sort of carp (goldfish, koi, etc.) then you may have a problem. If they are in the same carp family, relax, they are likely "having fun", just looks rough. And, good news is that it only usually lasts a day or two.
WELCOME!!!

A connely is basically a type of goldfish, everything is back to normal, thanks for the reply

David

Reaction score
If your pond has few plants the males can beat the female to death, not uncommon. Google "spawn mops" if you'd like to give the female some places to hide and rest.

Like Country said, this is normally a multi-day event.

The behavior is needed for the female to release eggs, so separating them can cause the female to become egg bound.

Ask a Question