Help, how do I clean oil off a liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

While emptying the pond for an emergency water change (caused by my neighbor spraying something on his yard and runoff getting in to the pond during a crazy rain storm), my sump pump that I was using seized, overheated and cracked in about 5 minutes. (I was in the house attending to the surviving fish. Argh. Stupid pump, stupid me.)

Anyway, the pump released some type of oil in to the pond. There is only about 6 inches of water left, but the oil film is there and waiting for me to clean.

I assume I can use paper towels to clean up most of it, before draining the rest of the water.
BUT, what do I use to clean the EPDM liner, before new water and the fish go back in?

I know I do not want to use regular soap, but I do not know what cleaners are safe for fish.

I did find this, but it is a little pricey and I would need it delivered:

Thank you,
Brian

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know, but would think that newspapers and paper towels would work — as I’ll bet it would take a few days to order and receive anything, and that extra time might be more stressful for your fish. What kind of pump did you use?

There are other suggestions if you do a Google search.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bummer, sorry to hear. I have no experience with them but while searching for oil dry I noticed most stores have stopped carrying the kitty litter and sell oil absorbent paper towels. Also, I have heard that oil on water will eventually spread to one molecule thick; not sure how significant the amount you can’t physically remove with paper towels, etc. will be depending on the size of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would use dawn dish soap, just in the areas that had oil. Rinse very well, then fill and let the water sit so you can watch for any remaining oil. Good luck with the fish and the pond clean up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry this happened. Honestly if it were my pond, I'd just wipe it down as good as I could...then refill.....thinking the volume of water to oil wold not be harmful. If you continue to notice oil on the pond's surface, then I'd over flow the pond, letting the surface water escape.

If there is a lot of oil, then I'd do more research. I know Dawn is used for saving wild life and you could do a lot of rinsing.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your local auto parts store should have a product known as Floor Dry
Remove all of the liquid that you can, then use the floor dry to absorb any that remains.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
quilt batting in a crate and put the hose from the pump in the crate and it will absorb it all .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591643063567.gif
@bpedrant Quilt batting would do it I bet. Hose off sides and wipe the w/paper towels.

Ask a Question