Help I’m new- 125 gallon pond and large pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve always wanted a water feature and just moved to a new house and constructed the pond. Was originally planning to use runoff to create an occasional water fall but love the sound of water so determined that I needed a pump. The problem is that I need a pump with an exceptionally long cord to get to the nearest outlet. I purchased the Alpine Cyclone 3100 gph with a 33’ cord. This will turn over the water nearly 25 times an hour; which is way more than necessary. I don’t plan to add fish or plants; I have a golden retriever who visits the pond many times a day to soak; it’s for aesthetics and the sound. I am reconstruction the water fall, but it’s not that high. I didn’t necessarily plan to use a filter either since I’m not placing fish. Obviously the pump is too large but can I throttle back the flow? Do I really need a filter? I’ve read a few posts that suggest I split the line and circulate water within. Should I just abandon the idea? Any other suggestions for a smaller pump with a longer electric cord? Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Attachments

• C5CD4111-1EE9-43E2-812A-4E5B6254E5A6.jpeg
    C5CD4111-1EE9-43E2-812A-4E5B6254E5A6.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 252

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use an extension cord. Just either tape the connection or use one of the boxes they make for that purpose. A 300gph pump would be fine. Can you return the pump you have?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

No, a filter isn’t necessary if you aren’t keeping fish, but you are correct about water movement. I have no advice on pumps (yes, turning your water over 25 times a hour is excessive), but if all you want is water movement— or a fountain effect — go with something to turn your water over about 1 1/2 times per hour. If you might be expanding your pond at some later date, find one with variable speeds (a knob where you can adjust the flow rate).

Is your pond a pre-formed plastic liner or a sheet liner? If it’s a sheet liner, be careful, as dogs can be rough on liners with their claws as well as getting rambunctious and knocking rocks in the water, which can damage any kind of liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596905349593.gif
@Njlovell
I just had to laugh when I saw that big white dog in the pond :joyful:
I used a long extension cord for several years. Just make just where they plug together stays dry.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great looking pond! Love the doggy in the middle!

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the quick advise. I dug out the old pond and moved it this weekend; raised it above the ground. Given our two goldens will likely use it, I went with a premade liner. The ponds with the plastic liner look so much more realistic, but as someone pointed out, I was worried about it tearing.
I returned my mega pump and bought a cheaper 400gph pump and basic filter from the box store this weekend. I built the waterfall correctly with the plastic liner and the spray grout to lock in the rocks. We have 2 tiers of falls. Obviously no fish for us, as I’m sure either the dog or the cat would not play nice; maybe some day. Thanks again to all for the kind advise.

Ask a Question