Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi can any give me any help I have had this on 1 of my koi I have been treating with ntlab koi treatment help as it don't seem to be going

Reaction score
Country
United States
It will help if you can give some more information such as a description of the problem. What symptoms is the fish showing and for how long? Has the problem worsened or stayed the same? Size of pond, filtration, how many fish, any new fish added recenty? What and how much do you feed? How often do you do water changes? Filter maintenance? And lastly if you have a test kit for your water those numbers may be helpful as well.

Its really hard to help anyone from photos alone.

Post back with additional info as soon as you can

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree with Bettasandgoldfish, more information would be helpful. Only thing I can tell from the pics is that you fed the fish so that one would come up and you could catch it in the net, past that. Anyone would be guessing

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi he seems fine he swims and eats fine no change In his behaviour I am running a fish mate 1500 uv filter I have not added any new fish I have got 10 fish altogether I have looked on Internet and it looks like a fungus I feed once a day early morning it is only on the 1 fish so it confusing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE="Rich17, post: 238962, member: 6640"]Size of pond is around 6 foot by 5 foot and 3.5 foot deep[/QUOTE]

Could you please tell us what test kits you use , if its a stick kit get rid of it as they are rather inaccurate in their readings buy an API test kit instead next your water perameters Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Kh what are their readings please?
Next please tell us a little more about your pond its maintenance and water changes , by maintenance we mean filters and also pond , this can be a cause of fungus on koi , when was the last time you cleaned the bottom of your pond ?
Yes Malachite is for treating fungus but if your going to stop in re occuring the above becomes neccessary however looking at the state of the bottle I'd say that it may well have passed its useful date (how long have you acctually had this bottle ] if a year and opened replace it if unopened keep (for future reference).
One thing I find rather worrying is you dont know the exact size of your pond , you need the exact measurments to get any treatments right, for instance our own pond is 1,000 imperial gallons so this would equate for the three main treatments formalin 75 ml , Malachite 60 ml Acriflavine 120ml.
so you'll need to work out the right amount of treatments yourself .
Where are you from at 3.5 ft your pond is the wrong depth for koi especially if you get bad winters where you are , a minimum of 4.5 ft maximum of 5ft being the correct depths for keeping koi .
I'm hoping you say the UK Rich and not the US

Hi hope this is better

Upon looking at this photo and the others however I'd say this may well not be fungus but instead koi pox which may explain why there is no change after you treating your koi.
Can you tell me exactly what they look and feel like under your fingers, is it like a hard white waxy growth which is how many koi keepers describe it as ?
If its fungal it will feel different softer perhaps and more mobile/ mannuable under your touch
Now if it is carp pox then you have nothing to worry about, however with this cold snap here in the UK I can well believe it would appear early , Normally it will disapear as the temperature of your pond rises re appear as it goes down and it will normally last for between 2-4 years before it disapears completely.
Its a harmess virus also know as fish pox
On duitsu koi it normally apprears on areas of no scales which is what we are seeing here but we'll need your description of them to know for sure.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Checking back to your first ever thread I note your from Nottingham Rich ,now could you please tell me just how much of a temperature fluctuation have you noticed of late my friend i;e after tropical storm Bertha hit ?.
Here in Plymouth weve seen major fluctuations in pond and air temperatures with night time lows of 6c. Our own pond pond dropping from 18c to 13c then up again to yesterdays 15c then a night time low of 6c .
You are much further up the UK from us which would probably make things colder still so dependant on your take on this on the feel of the lumps etc it may well be a correct diagnoses of koi pox .

Dave

Last edited:

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have got a fishmate 1500 uv filter which is cleaned and checked regular I cleaned the bottom of pond 3 weeks ago and yes I am from nottingham and it feels hard and waxy to touch like you said and regarding temp around nottingham it's been up and down a fair bit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If the lumps are are and lumpy Rich then your koi has carp pox nothing to do now until the koi cures itself in a tear or two's time my friend .
Keep us posted if you get any changes

Dave(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you dave I will keep you posted
Should have read if the lumps are waxy and hard then you have koi pox and it should didsapear in year or two;s time sorry must have been all in when I posted last possiv=bly my morphine had kicked in and I didnt realise should have quit posting prior sorry Rich

Dave

Ask a Question