Help! I need to find a way to cover my bottom drain

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there, I'm new to koi ponds and our pond has a bottom drain. I was worried about the possibility of fish swimming into it but I was assured that this is impossible. As it turns out, it isn't. The other day I lost my smallest american koi because he swam down the bottom drain and suffered some serious injuries. I have other koi comparable to his size, so now I'm just trying to make sure that it doesn't happen again. What would be the best option for covering the drain? My partner wants to put a raised dollar store laundry hamper over it, but I'm worried about the plastic leaching into the water or breaking and giving the koi micro plastics to eat. Are these valid concerns or am I being paranoid? My first instinct was a metal grate, but my partner thinks this will puncture our rubber liner even if the edges are filed and sanded. Has anyone had experience with this topic or have any ideas or answers? Any help is much apprecitated!

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about plastics breaking down and becoming an issue. I believe plastics degrade via UV light and and any cover you add will be under the water diffusing the light. Have you looked into getting a large colander and then adding a weight on the top to keep it in place?

what are the sizes of your koi?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You mean there's no type of grating in the drain?
Maybe something is missing? I don't have a drain, so I'm not sure what they are constructed of.
I don't know....assuming you will no longer use the drain, maybe a large smooth edged rock covering the drain? Something that won't puncture your liner.
Or a Tupperware lid with a large smooth rock on top.
Or are you planning to still use the drain? If so, a piece of window screening with rocks placed around the drain? This might clog easy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want fry to survive you might want to cover the drain with a large rock, lid etc. Or put a plastic tub over it,, a milk crate with some screening would work. But might clog easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Does the drain have a dome or top to it? If so you may be able to screw the top lower. Some bottom drains have a short pvc pipe holding the top in place, it might be able to be removed and adjusted to fit closer to the bottom.
If the drain is just an open pipe then a part is missing. I like the colander idea, they come in plastic and stainless steel.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Wyatt R

Reaction score
Is the drain the only way that the pump can get its water? If so you have to be very careful about what you cover it with. If you cover it with a screen it may clog up as Addy1 pointed out. I would say the Dollar store basket would be the best. If you have another place for the water to get to the pump then you could use a shower drain cover and it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Ask a Question