Help identify fish in new pond!

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and ponds. Just purchased a home with a 4,500’ish gallon pond. My first step to proper maintenance is identifying these little guys. They’re about 2-4 inches. There’s maybe 20 inside the pond. I’m located in North Holland.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks
7353097B-7DDC-493B-B415-956B95D26920.jpeg
3183579E-174A-4CFC-9223-8AFB4A587DD5.jpeg
FE9C6CAE-D1A7-4484-8B3A-749D2E46A496.jpeg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome!

Reminds me of a sunfish of some sort, perhaps a Pumpkinseed, but I am no authority. Not native but I do see some have been introduced into your country:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great photos they are called sun fish in the north . Pumpkin fish in the south. your pond is doing well the water is nice and clear and the vegetation looks to be thriving

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Agreed, sunfish. They are native here, and having had one, which was in amongst a bunch of baby fish I rescued from a drying creek, I can tell you they can get agressive. Of you go in their pond, you'll get bumped. And they are popular among fishermen who enjoy a bit of fight, apparently they put on a good show. I would go swimming in the pool I had my fish in, and he would bump me and the ladder, but I was never nipped. If you ever decide to add other fish, do due research first to be sure they won't be problematic. Also, as they are not native there, no transplanting them to native water ways. I've heard they are good eating though, so if you need to erradicate them, enjoy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I agree they look like sunfish

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Agreed, sunfish. They are native here, and having had one, which was in amongst a bunch of baby fish I rescued from a drying creek, I can tell you they can get agressive. Of you go in their pond, you'll get bumped. And they are popular among fishermen who enjoy a bit of fight, apparently they put on a good show. I would go swimming in the pool I had my fish in, and he would bump me and the ladder, but I was never nipped. If you ever decide to add other fish, do due research first to be sure they won't be problematic. Also, as they are not native there, no transplanting them to native water ways. I've heard they are good eating though, so if you need to erradicate them, enjoy.
I took the photos with my GoPro and they lined up in attack mode! I thought, “wow they’re curious fish” not realizing they were being aggressive! Crazy little things

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Thanks everyone for the info. They are indeed sunfish. It’s been fun getting to know them. Not shy at all!

Ask a Question