Help identify this bird

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I let my dogs out for their morning business and heard a weird noise. At first I thought it was a duck. Sucker came in through a open door and was in the pool. Made a nice mess. I reaserched it some and think it's a Black-crowned Night Heron. After getting the dog in the house I used the pool brush to get him out. He just hopped up on it. Hopefully he won't be back.

Attachments

• P6160023 (Custom).JPG
    P6160023 (Custom).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 237
  • P6160025 (Custom).JPG
    P6160025 (Custom).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 296
  • P6160024 (Custom).JPG
    P6160024 (Custom).JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 262
Reaction score
You are correct. Night herons don't pose a threat to larger fish.Small fish, snakes and frogs are their mainstay. From the looks of the plume you have a male.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
onemean said:
You are correct. Night herons don't pose a threat to larger fish.Small fish, snakes and frogs are their mainstay. From the looks of the plume you have a male.

Thanks onemean. I'm sure he came looking for frogs. They are quite loud at night. I have my pond covered @50% with screen and do have some small fish from this years spawn. I think he was scared enough to stay away. My dog had him cornerd in the pool.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He prolly thought he had found Heaven in that nice pool but no food to live on in there. Wonder how long he would have stayed in there on his own? Too long prolly for your liking :nananananana:

Ask a Question