Help identifying a fish please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
2 fish appeared in the spring the first year we had a pond.
i had grabbed some duckweed from a nearby pond the year before to feed
some ducks that were using it as a wadding pool at the time.

i think they rode in on that

i was hoping someone could help id these travellars.

thank you.

pond030.jpg

here is short vid where you see them twice. the dark ones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Goldfish that have still probably haven't turned gold yet? Some do seem to take an age and size isn't obvious in the video. They can be hard to spot in a pond, especially when you're looking in from above so maybe they were already yours but you just hadn't spotted them? Just a thought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Goldfish that have still probably haven't turned gold yet? Some do seem to take an age and size isn't obvious in the video. They can be hard to spot in a pond, especially when you're looking in from above so maybe they were already yours but you just hadn't spotted them? Just a thought!
thanks for the thought. if i had been more clear in my post, i would of said the two fish appeared before i put any fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, right, that throws a different light on things then doesn't it? It does now sound like a distinct possibility there were either some fish eggs or fry amongst the duckweed. As I've no knowledge whatsoever of American native fish, I can't be of help in ID'ing them.

I will however mention as a word of caution that I bought some 'canal weed' home many years ago to put in with some sticklebacks that we kept outside in an old aquarium....a few weeks later we noticed two small fry that looked somewhat different in conformation to the shoal of sticklebacks. These two individuals grew, and grew, and continued to grow. We then noticed that one of the sticklebacks had disappeared, then the others all mysteriously evaporated but the two mystery fry continued their rapid growth and it was soon evident that they were actually a pair of pikes, one of most voracious freshwater predators here in the U.K. :-/

I would certainly do your best to try and find out exactly what you have, and they're hopefully not a predator species like we had unwittingly scooped up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
...on looking at the vid again, they don't have the huge mouth that most predators have, I'm sure they're quite innocent really!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, right, that throws a different light on things then doesn't it? It does now sound like a distinct possibility there were either some fish eggs or fry amongst the duckweed. As I've no knowledge whatsoever of American native fish, I can't be of help in ID'ing them.

I will however mention as a word of caution that I bought some 'canal weed' home many years ago to put in with some sticklebacks that we kept outside in an old aquarium....a few weeks later we noticed two small fry that looked somewhat different in conformation to the shoal of sticklebacks. These two individuals grew, and grew, and continued to grow. We then noticed that one of the sticklebacks had disappeared, then the others all mysteriously evaporated but the two mystery fry continued their rapid growth and it was soon evident that they were actually a pair of pikes, one of most voracious freshwater predators here in the U.K. :-/

I would certainly do your best to try and find out exactly what you have, and they're hopefully not a predator species like we had unwittingly scooped up.

wow. interesting but sad story. in my pond they do seem to coexist and seem to be growing slower than the goldfish. there are many small fish with their coloring. i wonder if they have mated.

Ask a Question