Help identifying a plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have a plant that was transferred from my old pond last year. If memory serves me, this was a dwarf cattail that changed and grew dramatically after putting it in the new pond. My problem is, I'm starting to question my memory... From what I can recall, this plant started out with thin round leaves, but once it actually started growing well in the new pond, the leaves opened up into these more V-shaped stems which grow about a foot tall, then split into about 6 separate leaves.

There have been no cattails nor any other flowers on this plant, so I cannot identify it that way. Because of the way the leaves split near the top, it reminds me more of the umbrella plants - however some quick research shows that those will not survive below zones 7-8, so I wouldn't have even tried growing it (this plant survived the past Winter and started growing fast while it was still cold). The other thing is that I was babying along my one known cattail, and I'm about 95% certain that this is where I placed it so it would have good growing conditions... Even so, I am hoping to get some verification?

Here's a link to the full-sized image, cropped so the plant in question is front and bottom-center (ignore the iris leaves poking up right in front of the plant)... http://www.sourpuss....6/img_6156x.jpg

img_6156x.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
leaves look similar to a weed we get here but it does not split like that .Maybe your umbrella plant went a little wild .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My cat tails don't look like that at all, skinny leaves. That looks more like a ornamental grass.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Last year I came across a plant new to me, sold under the name "Dwarf King Tut papyrus" I believe it grows to about 2' or so, and looks more like a grass than most of the papyrus varieties. I think you might have one of these!
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Tried to edit the previous post, but couldn't. I can't find the variety anywhere on the internet, just the shorter version of Egyptian papyrus, which has the same roughly triangular stem, but the one we had was more like a grass, eventually branching near the ends. It was grown by our wholesale department, so the next time I'm in there I'll see if they have a scientific name for it.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
It just really bugs me that I cannot even remember *getting* this plant, let alone remember what it was. On the other hand, if this is not a cattail, then it had to have been added last year, which means this thing has spread quite a bit in only a single year. That's great for me because I would love to have this filling in my gravel area. I know it's not really a bog, but it should have some bog-like attributes as the plants fill in, and provide an extra boost to cleaning the water. The little dragonfly nymphs sure seem to like swimming around this area!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing, join the crowd, I keep a list of what I have bought, then need to marry the name to the plant in the bog. Most of the time just say pretty plant, like pretty fish lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Ah ha! That's what it took, finding my receipt for the plants I ordered online last year...

The plant is called a 'Hardy Umbrella Plant', also known as 'Sweet Galingale' (Cyperus longus). So it was a type of umbrella plant, just not one that I was able to find again while trying to identify it.

"This native can be invasive..." That would be an understatement. I was really upset with this particular online order because for the price, I expected small clumps of plants. What I received was one single stem of each grass. Out of $60 worth of plants, this and the bog bean are the only two that survived. Take a good look at the size of that clump of plants from the first post, and remember that all of that grew out of a single stem in a little over 4 months last year. I'm very happy with the growth rate, because it means that it will only take a few years to fill in where I want this plant, and I bet I can cut off some small clumps and spread it out to other areas of the pond with no trouble.

I'm also finding quite a range of info about the plant. One site says it grows in 6" of water, another site claims it can be planted up to about 20" deep. I may have to try growing some of this in the deeper waters as I have been somewhat limited on what plants I can grow past the 6" mark. This should be very interesting...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad your brain can rest now that you figured out what it is. I know what it's like tho as I wrack my brain forever if I can't figure something out like that!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it looks neat. Let us know how it grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - apparently it grows "very well"... :LOL:

Due to data loss last year, I lost a lot of pictures of the pond as the plants grew in through the Summer, so I will be taking more pictures this year. It would probably be a good idea to get some close-up shots of individual types of plants and label them so I can figure out what I have again next year!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lmao, good idea! I have plants everywhere, just started saving the plant tags so I can look at the pictures and marry up the color to the plant lol

Ask a Question