Help identifying plants purchased with no tags

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I need help identifying plants that I purchased in a variety planter, but with no identification tag for the various plants.

The first one they told me is a variety of hibiscus, and will bloom this summer. It's red and has leaves that look like Japanese Maple, so it really caught my attention.
Pond hibiscus.JPG

The next 2 pics are of the same plant. I call it a banana type of plant, but really have no idea. JW said maybe Thalia. The second pic is of the stem and flowers that appeared today above this plant. Kind of a purple looking flower, but it's not really open yet.
Pond plant - banana type plant.JPGPond banana type plant flowers.JPG

I have no idea what this plant is, but is has really pretty little blue flowers. It also was in the same planter.
Blue flowers .JPG

This last plant has thin grasslike stems with white star flowers. Most of the flowers are going to seed, but the ones on the right are what they look like when first blooming, I think.
Grass like plant with white star flowers.JPG

And, just because he was there when I was taking plant pics, here's what I think is a young bullfrog, about half the size of full grown bullfrog, but maybe he's a different type altogether. He is often on top of the floating plants, and not as bashful as most of the others. :) Enjoy!!!
Young bullfrog.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, I just got done re-reading your post about overwintering plants, and saw the thalia, but didn't think it looked the same, although the skinny stem with flowers looked similar! Thanks, it's a red stemmed one! Cool! And I actually did not even notice all the other plants, like the white star grass when I got the plants, as I was so taken with the Thalia and Hibiscus, but now that I've been looking closer, there are several other plants in the same pot! I also got another with horsetail and the corkscrew plants, and red stemmed parrots feather, although someone said the red stemmed was not as hardy in my Zone 5 as the regular green stemmed is. My green stem parrots feather is about 3' in diameter now.
I wonder why some plants are growing really well, and others, like the hyacinths and water lettuce just refuse to grow! Lilies are growing well, but not super hardy looking. They are all blooming, so I'm not complaining. :) Next year maybe I'll get the hyacinths earlier. Oh, and I noticed that the 2 hyacinth plants I put in the bog (where the fish cannot get to them) are dark green, whereas the others in the pond are light green - anemic looking. So, I put a few from the pond into the bog to see if it helps them. Maybe the koi are eating their roots! I know they tend to do that, but I was having trouble before I got the fish, too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my small pond hyacinths are a lot happier than the large pond ones. Maybe cause it is warmer more nutrients etc who knows lol

Ask a Question