Help identifying what fish

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We started with a couple goldfish and a couple Shubunkin. Noticed they were spawning, we had problems with the water fountain, all the adult fish died. However we had babies. The first ones were kinda transparent in color, then shed that layer to be orange/black in color. But they are curled up instead of being looking fish shape, almost looks like seeds in the water til you see them swimming. I assumed these were the Shubunkin. Then I noticed there was bright red, smaller skinny ones when I was scoping up from the bottom, often picking up sand. They look more worm ish, although looking closely I can see a tail.
i have tried doing research on which one was which. However I often see the same videos or pictures for goldfish or Shubunkin fry. Would fish spawn in the sand? There wasn’t anything else besides these 2 in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually found my answer- bloodworms is what I have. A good thing, how can I keep Them around?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Fry tend to be clear at first, and all you see is their eyes. Once they get some color, they will look like mini fish. So I believe part of what you described would be mosquito larva. They curl and unfurl to swim. Now, if you are not sure if there may actually be fry, give it a week or three, and then check again. You will have a better chance of seeing them . Should you have to restock, be sure your pond is well ready, with a back up airstone in case you have other issues.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596383552015.gif
@Janie
Hmmmmmmm? Will be interesting to see what the others turn out to be.

Ask a Question