Help...I'm leaking :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found out last few days my pons water level is dropping about 1/2 inch overnight. First thought just water evap or possibly foxes in ares taking a sip/dive in to pond but after filling up pond and leaving, could make out the waterline on pond liner dropping abit.

For now, I'm leaving it to see if possibly cut/hole around the edges of the liner so at least I'd know where the leak is emanating from since it should stop after drops below the cut/hole.

You can make out how much water dropping by the marks of the water line in pics.

Does anyone know of a method to use for finding where possibly the leak is and repair?

DSC_2632.JPG
DSC_2633.JPG
DSC_2634.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have a waterfall? out of the pond plumbing? Check those first. What I do is turn everything off, fill it up and let it sit see if it still drops.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big is your pond? Asking because you have a lot of plants. Smaller bodies of water will show evaporation faster than larger bodies of water, and plants suck up a ton of water, especially with the heat — not sure what your temps are like there in the U.K., but it’s been brutal in the southern US. Just something to consider if you can’t find a leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond is only 3m x 2 m and about 80cm drop.
I've filled the pond back up but switched off (from splitter) water going in to ugly filter box. Only filter I have running is the bog box.

I do hope it's the pipe from pump splitter to filter box at fault as easy and cheaper to change.

UK weather atm is

1599055009696.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well some good news. After filling up pond and switching off all but my water to bog filter, water hasn't dropped :)

So looks like I have some rodents possibly chewing on the pipe hose. Plan is to replace or something more rigid and rat/mouse protected or look at if I can add in PVC piping attach to pump hose.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well some good news. After filling up pond and switching off all but my water to bog filter, water hasn't dropped :)
Yeah! That is the first thing I think of when I have a "leak" which waterfall is putting water where it does not belong. My pipes are all 2 inch pvc, they have never been the issue.

Ask a Question