Help ! I'm losing Koi by the minute

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Koi are dying, they are swimming erratically upside down and back and forth darting one end to the pond and the other. and smashing into the rocks and the side of the pond. they are not rubbing, it seems like they are trying to get out of the water. some fish have died. others are affected. water quality is good nitrates and nitrites are non existent. i've done numerous water changes, ph was a little low i've raised it a bit. more than enough aration temp stays within range.. i'm lost for answers. I need help fast. anybody have any answers?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If it's not water then it's an infection. Did you add new fish?

Also what we need the exact numbers of the water tests. How big is the pond and how old?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it's not water then it's an infection. Did you add new fish?

Also what we need the exact numbers of the water tests. How big is the pond and how old?

The pond is about 1000 gallons and about three months old. I have added new fish but that doesn't seem to be the problem. The water levels show perfect I just raised the salt level. And I'm leaning towards a parasitic infection. This isn't my first pond and I've been at it for a number of years. This is very new to me and I'm not really sure what to do to treat the parasite either if it is indeed a parasite. My next move is to start up a UV light but I'm just grabbing at straws right now. Thank you very much for replying I appreciate your help. Bobby.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
How many and what size fish?
What did you add and how much did you add to the pond to adjust the PH?
How much water have you changed? Did you treat the water?
What is the salt level?
What are you using to test the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
And how many koi total in the 1000 gallons? I'm having a hard time believing ammonia is fine if you describe the koi to be many. Do you have a bog or lotsa plants to suck in the ammonia? What is the exact number the test gives you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feel for you as my goldies and shubunkin and fantails (all the large ones and like 15 small ones) have died just in the past day....it's hot here and I'm wondering if it is the oxygen levels. I'm trying to do a water change and blasting the hose full bore into the pond to help with the oxygen. I dont know what else to do and all my water levels are fine. My ph always is at 7 anyway. 0 nitrates and ammonia for mine. My fish are hanging out in small groups and by the sides and waterfall. And two days ago were active and greeting me when I went out to feed them. Now dont even hardly swimm around or even acknowledge me at the side. Guess what will be will be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I feel for you as my goldies and shubunkin and fantails (all the large ones and like 15 small ones) have died just in the past day....it's hot here and I'm wondering if it is the oxygen levels. I'm trying to do a water change and blasting the hose full bore into the pond to help with the oxygen. I dont know what else to do and all my water levels are fine. My ph always is at 7 anyway. 0 nitrates and ammonia for mine. My fish are hanging out in small groups and by the sides and waterfall. And two days ago were active and greeting me when I went out to feed them. Now dont even hardly swimm around or even acknowledge me at the side. Guess what will be will be.

Did you check the water temperature? Do you have an aerator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
As mentioned above, more specific information about your pond, is needed. You mentioned the PH was a" little low"...how low?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ph is 7.6 and no nitrates nor ammonia...doing a water change and shooting the water into the pond making massive bubble action to put in more oxygen. I have the waterfall a bubbler and the skimmer which pumps back into the pond. Water temp is 74 after I have had the water pumping into with the hose for the past couple of hours. Most fish seem more alert right now with a few straglers hanging onto the sides....I'm thinking the air quality sucked thanks to the heat were having. I've never had this problem...but all my big fish are gone.....these are their kids now left

Attachments

• fish 4 hose.jpg
    fish 4 hose.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 220
  • fish 5 all hose and air.jpg
    fish 5 all hose and air.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I just went out alot of them came to the middle and up to the top like they do when i feed them...so of course I threw some food out and some went for it....

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 211
  • fish one.jpg
    fish one.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 202
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yes but my fish have had this water for 6 years now and never a problem as the chlorine put into the water is very low. Sorry I just figured out im on handymankiley post!!! I will move back to mine....I sure hope handymankiley is having better luck with their fish......from the original post and sorry....distraught here with my problem...

Ask a Question