Help in choosing a big enough filter for the fish you have. Waste produced / fish length

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1643283578044.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is such a helpful illustration. I've shared it with many people over the years - it's eye opening.

If you do the simple math (the only kind I do) you can see that 4- six inch fish - your average every day goldfish size - will produce around 36 grams of waste. One 24 inch fish - which is again 4x6 (pretty standard for a full grown koi) will produce 1,250 grams of waste in the same time period. So the "X number of gallons of water per inch of fish" rule goes right out the window.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is such a helpful illustration. I've shared it with many people over the years - it's eye opening.
@brokensword sent it to me said you had shared it, but it was never stickied, so now stickied!

So now easier to just refer to it!
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

If you do the simple math (the only kind I do) you can see that 4- six inch fish - your average every day goldfish size - will produce around 36 grams of waste. One 24 inch fish - which is again 4x6 (pretty standard for a full grown koi) will produce 1,250 grams of waste in the same time period. So the "X number of gallons of water per inch of fish" rule goes right out the window.
yep; sorry to have had to keep getting you to refer to it all the time and seems when I needed it, always had to go looking through my files, so now stickied and easier. Just got to note which forum it's in (this one? haven't looked yet!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what should also be mentioned here is that a gold fish will grow maybe an inch a year while a koi will grow 2 to 3" a year and look at those numbers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My Pontec pump broke and I'm looking to get it replaced and what some suggestions please. Pond is between 10,000 and 15,000 litres and has 15 or so grown gold fish with 30 juveniles (which I'll be getting rid off).

The old pump kept clogging so looking for something high quality.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not the pumps fault it keeps clogging did you have a strainer basket before the pump be is submersable or external

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not the pumps fault it keeps clogging did you have a strainer basket before the pump be is submersable or external
It's be going for 7 or so years and I'm not the best at maintaining my pond so not blaming it at all. It had a strainer case but I'm guessing you're suggesting another basket for it to sit in? Can you recommend a new pump?

Can

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a performance pro it has worked great for five years now very quiet.

Big energy pig but I'm pushing 12000 gph. On a good sized pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, Addy, very useful.
Now, is there some way to convert grams of fish waste to the required size of a bog to handle that amount of waste? for example: if my fish produce 300 grams of waste per 24 hrs, how many cubic feet of bog do I need?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks, Addy, very useful.
Now, is there some way to convert grams of fish waste to the required size of a bog to handle that amount of waste? for example: if my fish produce 300 grams of waste per 24 hrs, how many cubic feet of bog do I need?
Looks like I'm not the only one having issues w/browser errors and double posting. I keep getting this message:
errors.png

I found a work around tho so I can still click on the likes and post a message. I just do what I want to do and when that message pops up I X it out and then click refresh on my browser and all is there. Kind of a hassle but it works. Cleared cookies etc. so don't know what the issue is @Ian :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is Ian working on these double posts

Ask a Question