HELP!!!! Is my Aquamax too powerful?

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently set up an aquamax eco 16000 in conjunction with an Oasis Clear pond 80 filter. The filter inlet is 2 metres above the water level and at htis height the pump should be doing about 10000 litres an hour, 1000 less than the limit for the box. My pond is 11,000 litres.

However the water level in the filter box is very high, and there is a lot of water exiting the box with oxygen mixed in with it.....

Is it possible to put a flow tap in betweeen the pump and the filter box? Or will this create too much back pressure on the pump?

Your help would be very much appreciated, Shaun

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
usually its fine to use a ballvalve to restrict flow as long as its after the pump, not before. you might consider putting in a tee, and a second valve just before the ball valve so you can divert some of the flow without restricting the flow.the water will just flow somewhere else. like a fountain etc...

Reaction score
but is it really a good idea to do this? Or would it be safer to get a slightly less powerful aquamax? I'm just worried that the fish waste isn't going to go 2m up to the filter effectively with a restrictor?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I would build another filter before I went with a smaller pump. More flow/turnover is always better. It doesn't have to be hugh, just enough to catch the crud. JMO

Reaction score
So I've just put on a Y distributor between my pump and filter box, however i am losing 1/3 of the water from this diverted hose straight back into the pond unfiltered. Is this acceptable considering I want to stock my 2500 gallon pond with Rudd, Grass carp and a few tench? running off 1/3 was enough so that my filter was working more effectively than before.

Shaun

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's probably ok to do this, however I would look at making one of the DIY filters and diverting that 1/3 there longterm.

Ask a Question