Help! Koi abandoned at park! What do I do?

Reaction score
I live within walking distance of a park and just a few minutes ago I noticed a huge (probably about a foot and a half long) Koi in the lake. People abandon farm animals (mainly ducks, geese, and turtles) there all the time so I'm assuming that's what happened with this guy. He must have gotten too big and some idiot let him free. Anyways what do I do? I'm worried for his safety because there are always people fishing down there, there are tons of wild animals, and he probably doesn't know how to catch food. But I've never had any fish bigger than a small goldfish in my life and I have no where to keep him since he's twice the size of my tank. HELP!

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I don't think there is such a thing as a koi with out the ability to forage for food. It's not like domesticating the hunting instinct out of a dog or cat. If this is a large pond I think your chances of catching him are about halfway between slim and none. They're fast, and as I found out recently really smart. A pond at a park is going to have thousands of place to hide, I don't think there is anything you can do, just hope he doesn't go for a worm on a hook.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
FishFriend
Only way to catch him would be with one of those big seine nets and doubt if your park caretakers would let you do that cuz you'd trap all the other fish in with him. You might also be surprised at how many other koi or goldfish are in there w/ him. If you figure out a way to catch him maybe somebody here who lives in Virginia might be able to find a home for him.............not mentioning your name or anything sissy :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know of several lakes around here Bedford ,leesville and Smith Mountain .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he must have went off I was out mowing the grass but if he is in one of the big lakes there are to many outlets and i would have to call the park to get permission to rescue him and that is hard to get from them .You need a license

Reaction score
He's at echo lake park in Glen Allen near Richmond. He's not actually in the lake he's in a small area off of the lake below a man made water fall type thing. He doesn't seem to be too afraid of people because he got pretty close to the people fishing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Call the park officials there and tell them it is in the pond and they will have a local guy come and take him out and most times some of those park people have there own ponds at home .There should be a listing in your yellow pages .They even have a koi rescue up that way .Can't remember the name of it right now but will check .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fin and feather on 5208 Lakeside ave.in Richmond 804-262-6681 should be able to advise you and help .I stop by there every time I come back from NJ .They have ponds and sell fish .

Ask a Question