Help!! Koi toilet and leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am losing 1 to 2 inches of water a day. I came out one night and had seen a hose came loose from the filter and the pond drained to just below the skimmer weir door. I panicked and turned everything off. I woke up next morning and saw the level lower than thought. I filled a temp pond with the water from the pond and put my koi in it. Once I drained the pond there was a pillow of water at the lowest point where the koi toilet is. I went to the area and inspected it. I could not see any rips or holes. And I figured by standing on the liner where the water was if there was a hole in the liner near the flange of the drain it would push back in to the pond. It did not.

I inspected everything I could. I use one pump at a time, i have tried some on some off. I plugged the drain and emptied the water in the line and it has not filled so I know the plug is holding.

My question is... If the toilet is leaking wouldnt the drain backfill with water and if it were the flange around the koi toilet when I stood on the liner wouldn't the water have pushed back into the pond through a holennesr the flange???

Reaction score
Don’t know anything about bottom drains.... but just wanting to throw it out there...... since you drained it.... couldn’t there be a leak anywhere in the liner and just running under and looking down at the bottom drain area ?

could you fill it and let it drain naturally to the lowest point ... ie the point where water is leaking?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok so you drained the pond and found no leaks but the water drops further then you think it should. How big is the pond?
While the pond is drained i would work some pvc pipes down on the outside of the rubber to take care of any water that gets under the liner

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592232441993.gif
@Mreeser707

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 18' x 12' with a max depth of 5' at the bottom drain with a Firestone EPDM liner. I took advice and think I may... may have found the issue. Buried under the river that flows to the pond the liner was lower due to a block behind the liner had settled below the pond mark line I made. The rear where the 4" drain is fills with water and like suggested here is squeezing it's way to the front due to gravity and nature. It seems after fixing that wall.. it has only dropped a 1/4 inch in 2 days. Now a new concern. I am using a Aquascape series 200 skimmer that runs to a tetra UV-36 then that empties into a Tetra PF-3 bio filter. I notice the skimmer stays full using an intertek 3600gph pump. Am I choking the water flow at the uv then bio filter due tonthe reduction of 1 1/4" I'd to 1" id?? Thank you everyone so far.. I learned water likes to play games and show up 18' from where it started lol

Ask a Question