Help, looking for floating plants, and submerged oxygenators in Phoenix area

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been caring for my backyard pond for twenty-five years now, and this summer has been brutal.

I've lost all my submerged oxygenators and floating plants, and in their place I have a lot of floating algae. My hardy lilies are doing okay, and so are my marginal plants (blue flag, sagittarium), the pond water is clear, and the fish seem to be doing okay. I have a biofilter and UV light. My pond is about 1000 gallons with three 6" goldfish and three 1" baby goldfish (offspring of the big fish).

The problem is that I can't seem to find anything for sale - Summerwinds won't get more aquatic plants until April, A&P Nursery has very low stock (although I'm going to go over and see what I can get).

At the beginning of this spring I had eel grass, but it has vanished. In the past I have had hornwort, parrots feather, floating heart, four leaf clover and those were quite successful, until suddenly they weren't.

Any suggestions on where to get plants? Anyone have some they could sell or trade?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
check local nurserys, or if you have pond stores, they would have sales going on right now because of the late season.

home depot/lowes also normally have hostas, and other unconventional plants that may be prefect for a water garden.

and finally, fb marketplace, craigslist, and also nextdoor, the primary sources of local selling and trading :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately the local nurseries that have pond plants (and there aren't many of them) have the same problem I do - a brutal summer of over 50 days of +110F degrees. Even my water lilies look burnt, and I've lost cactus. It is still in triple digits, and will remain so for the next two weeks. Hopefully it will get down into the 90s by October.

Unfortunately most of the pond stores that used to have stock have gone away over the last decade or so. The nurseries have suggested I try PetSmart.

I will try NextDoor, that's a good suggestion.

Ask a Question