help me someone anyone

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
a friend of my is freaking out about her koi she just order off line they was shipped on wedsday by us mail service and they are still not at her house she is calling me to try and find out how long they can live in a bag for ? i told her i was not sure does anyone know how long they can live in the shippping bags /?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you'll find its alot less than Waterbug thinks they are shipped from Japan direct by air which means 24 hours gone to start with possibly 48 hours tops between being shipped and out of the bag.at the dealers or purchasers home.
Remembering that they are in a bag thats topped up a third of the way with water then they pump in Oxygen you have to think about the amount of ammonia these fish are producing .
But I'm thinking if they arrive dead thats not the dealers fault nor the purchasers but that of the people shipping the fish who I think would be held liable for any deaths
But being shipped by a postal service. m;mmmmm .
The Boxs are all marked Live fish so they know they have to get from A to B in the shortest time possible as do any other agencies ( dont know about the Homeland security people who are noted for a certain shall we say it stupidity) even if its an internal flight ............
They stopped my best friends "Type One Diabetic" son from entering the US and were about to have him shipped back to the UK their reasoning he had lost then found his passport in Spain ( it turned up in his Mums locked case ), so a terrorist could taken a copy.
So strength of that they were ready to ship him out until Rob his Dad" who is a Veteran like myself", blew up at them saying it would be on CNN soonest if he was shipped out back to the UK, they relented and Ben was allowed in to visit his Mums sister and her family,.being a type one diabetic is dangerous at the best of times for Ben, as it causes him to fit and fall into a coma (see what I mean about stupidity)..Rob later termed them the gestapo
I digress so they know that there's a time line on these boxs, however if they are stopped over night I feel sure that the animal handlers at each airport would change the water and oxygen............... ( that live fish marking).........so that they are fit and ready for their next part of the journey to you so lets say three days at a push after airport intervention.
If its coming by truck all the way, oh boy... then you pray waterbug has his sums right ........

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know about your airports but there are animal handlers on hand should the need arise such as a delay in a flight through say bad weather, Volcanoes, blowing there tops the wrong snow etc.
It is their duty to look after and maintain any living creature being shipped by air including mucking out medications water changes etc .
These people are professionals and have their own holding centre in airports the weirdest thing ever to entre their holding area was a flock of flamingos that had to be allowed out of their crates ( very messy to clean up after) but it can be basically anthing and evrerything from snakes to lizards, dogs to cats, birds to fish you get the idea so I needent continue the weirdest thing to be sent fish wise was a 6ft long Red tailed Cat shipped from its owners ( it had outgrown the largest tank they could fit in their home and had to be shipped out to Jersey zoo ).

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, I don't think we have anything like that hear, if we do I have never heard of them.

Reaction score
With shipping dogs, I have been VERY pleased with the airlines I have used. Twice, I've had the airlines call ... one was simply the flight was delayed, and my pup didnt make the connecting flight. They got her on the next flight out. What was supposed to be 4 hours in total, became 12 hours. The other. I was shipping a 12 month old to her co-owner. She was going into Dallas, and as the flight was an hour from the destination, they rerouted the flight to Houston due to severe thunder storms. They gave me the choice of having my co-owner get her at Houston instead, or holding her over til the next day and then get her into Dallas ... my co-owner elected to make the four hour drive to the other airport. Most of the time, either I, or the buyer flew with young puppies as carry on baggage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There was a long running documentary about the work the people do at the holding unit they have at heathrow airport surely it cant just be them who run one of these facilities I would have expected the US tohave one in each major airport .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question