Help me with fish

Reaction score
Hello, I got a small 900 liters pond, about 237 US gallons. I plan on adding some comet goldfish in there after I cycle the thing. Can anybody tell me what a safe number would be? I don't want them ending up dead :)

Thx.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I got a small 900 liters pond, about 237 US gallons. I plan on adding some comet goldfish in there after I cycle the thing. Can anybody tell me what a safe number would be? I don't want them ending up dead :)

Thx.
Hello and welcome!

Do you have any fish in the pond now? You need fish in order for the pond to cycle (unless you're doing a fish less cycle with ammonia....). Start out with a couple of small comets, but go ahead and get nice fish -- it's not necessary to use feeder fish. Get a test kit and monitor your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates -- and do some research (if you haven't already) on cycling so you'll understand the results. You may have to do small water changes if the levels get too high.

You're probably not going to want more than 1/2 dozen fish in the long run. What kind of filtration do you have?

Reaction score
Thx for the information. I am doing a fish less cycle by throwing some fish food in there. I know it works for aquariums. I also added already used sponges and biological filtration from my canister filters to speed it up (I hope).

I have a test kit that I also use on my aquarium.

As for the filtration I got one of these:
http://www.aquael.com.pl/en/products/oczko-wodne/filtry-stawowe/137-maxi#specifications

Its with the recommended pump for its size.

If half a dozen is ok then its perfect. I was thinking about 5(not all at once).
Again, thx for the information guys.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Interesting comment in that filter ad: "Designed for continuous operation". Is any filter designed for intermittent use? :confused:
John

Ask a Question