Help, my baby koi arent eating

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I have two ponds in the back of my farm and a springhouse that has solar panels and a well pump that provides fresh all day water changes as long as the sun is out. I have 450 in the 40K ga pond and 400 in the 30k. Most are 3” though there are some one footers. Nobody is eating anything in both ponds and I am starting to get worried. The water temp in the ponds is 64 degrees although the air temp did drop to 36 today. I have a pond aerator in both w plenty of big air stones, I don’t think oxygen is an issue. I just ordered an API freshwater test kit from amzn and it will get here in a couple days. I’ll post the results. The 450 have been in the bigger pond since Nov of last year and I added the 400 to the smaller pond last month. I can see some of them swimming around in the smaller pond, nothing in the bigger one. Can you guys please help me out?
Thank you,
Ian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your ponds sound huge! Did you have fish in them before? Are there fish besides the koi? What are you feeding them? How is the water clarity? How old are your ponds? Are their plants? Predators?

Post pictures if you can so we can envision what you are talking about.

Welcome here!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
blue fire welcome.gif

Marlin.gif
@marlinsrundeep82
Perhaps they just got scared of something visiting their ponds? Have you recently turned on the aerators or have they been running all year?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They may be eating tadpoles this time of the year . Most farm ponds here have windmills that run aerators in their pond . I provide them with frogs and tadpoles when i get to many here

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Test your water as soon as you get the kit and post your results. Its possible that the inflow of water may be an issue If the PH is too high or low.

Ask a Question