Help.My fish are dying

Reaction score
My pond is only 4 months old and my beautiful koi are dying left and right. I have a feeling that the last couple I bought on Sept 1st may have had parasites. I did notice a few white spots on my largest and then it seemed almost overnight it was covered in a white film. Every morning there were at least 2 dead in the skimmer basket. Some of them did not have the white film on them. I took a water sample to the local aqautic center and was told the water was perfect. I was told to try Anchors Away with a 25% water change and feed them Jungle Medicated fish food. That was Saturday, I have lost 4 more since then. Happy to say I did not have any die today but I noticed one of my 4" koi appears to have a sore on the top that has a fuzzy substance coming out of it.In early July I had a heron completely wipe out my pond and have since netted and restocked the pond only to have them die. This pond has brought me so much joy and so much pain!!! Its just like having kids again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pond is approx 2000 gal.:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your recent losses. Maybe before you restock, you should ask questions here and do some searches to find answers on how to keep healthy fish while protecting them from predators.

Reaction score
can you take a photo of the fuzzy one? Do you do regular water changes each week? What can you tell us about your filtration aside from the skimmer.

Give us as much info about your pond as you can.

Reaction score
How many fish do you have left? I would highly suggest investing in a good water test kit and not depend on someone else to do your testing. The problem with this is the water parameters of your sample can change by the time you get it over to your aquatic center.

I am not familar with Anchors away, but what you describe does not sound like anchor worms. I see that it is effective on some other parasites as well, but I see no mention of it being effective for flukes. Have you already begun treatment with it? If so this is where the test kit becomes so important as some treatments can hammer the beneficial bacterial in your filter. Perhaps others on this forum that have expierance with this treatment can input whethor or not this is a concern with this medication.

How is the aeration in the pond? Do you have a waterfall or any spitters? Adding additional air during times of sickness is always a good thing and can help ease the stress while the fish struggle to fight off the disease.

Ask a Question