HELP my fish wont eat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 mo the ago I was working on a house and the owner was selling up and was leeching his pond and fish so I got talking and ended up he did I can have the fish including 2 10 to 12 lb albino grass carp and 6lb albino grass carp 2 8lb plus koi a 11lb ghost butterfly koi and 5 2lb plus goldfish so I made a large raised pond at home set it up took the filter and rigged it all up with water still in and left the pond for about a week and introduced the fish and naught 8 small 2’’ goldfish the fish are happy and full off life but now a mo th on they don’t come up to the surface. At all to feed apart from the tiny goldfish I have all the same food from the old pond but they just won’t eat and I can’t understand why I did put in a large bulrush type plant about 3ft wide x 2ft height with a root ball about the same size that had burst a pot could they just be eating the naturals off this and ignoring the food as their always around in nose aiming at it please help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Dekkc!
If you had your new pond set up for only a week before adding the fish, there is probably too much ammonia in the water and it's making your fish sick.
Add some ammonia binder and test your water.
Post your water test results here and we can advise further.
1 week is not long enough for your pond to establish a sufficient nitrifying bacteria population that can process the waste generated from your fish.
Do not feed your fish for now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did put pond start and also a sashay of bacteria and I know it wasn't long enough pal but I had to get them quick or he was going to give them to the buyers of the house do you think they will start to eat tho and how long should I not feed for

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The fish won't eat until the water is healthy, so test your water.
I'm quite sure you will need an ammonia binder asap.
Your first concern needs to be water quality.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Dekkc

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Dekkc ! You'd do well to listen to @MitchM - he has lots of experience and knowledge to share. Don't worry about your fish eating - they know better than you when it comes to that. They know they're in trouble.

Ask a Question