Help my koi are dying

Reaction score
Brenda would you like to be able too be self sufficient in taking scrapes etc? if your answer is yes then your going to need a nice microscope, slides and fixers we own a Bresser NG x 40 - x 1024
Microscopes are easy to come by on Amazon Turtle Mommy now does her own and is now able to anethatize her fish thanx to threads weve posted and is very keen to learn more.
Weve done thread on the forum of how to take a scrape , once learned its very easy to do.
Question Brenda Is the Purple as a result of the treatment used in the pond ?
With only 10% of water in the pond when you fill it again it will most probably have to go through a cyle which will be rough on the fish perhaps add only one or two of the strongest to get things running again.
Question these purple patches dried onto the sides of the pond is what you have been using Potasium Permanganate under a different name , it comes in a purple crystal ?

Dave
Nothing has been put in the pond that has K+ in it nothing that is purple I have ordered a microscope its not here yet. I know that I have to cycle again when I fill it but I don't know how much cleaning I need to do to it first until I know what that purple stuff is. I am worried that maybe somebody put something in my pond just not sure. I am going to add the fish that look good back in the pond a few at a time until it gets going. I have never treated pond with purple stuff. I will get all the names of stuff that I have put in when I get back I need to take my mom to doctor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brenda your a Marine fish keeper you do get purple algae in marine tanks I wonder if somehow you have transfered some from your Marine tanks and into he pond where its turned toxic a very long shot I know but ???

Dave

Reaction score
Brenda your a Marine fish keeper you do get purple algae in marine tanks I wonder if somehow you have transfered some from your Marine tanks and into he pond where its turned toxic a very long shot I know but ???

Dave
I have no fish in the house anymore. I have not had any fish in over 4 years until my Koi

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Look again at the staining Brenda see in the right hand corner how the staining goes to green , I really have a feeling that this purple staining must be somthingto do with algae .
Going back to the photo of your koi we see fin rot in the tail which would be indicative of Columnaris disease (Fin rot Gll rot Mouth Rot/Cotton wooland Skin columnaris) all come under ths headiing , I think the purple straining may be throwing us all off here , what do you think ?
I'm going to have a chat with our own clubs Koi Health official about the possible cause of the purple staining and then get back to you if thats ok ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look again at the staining Brenda see in the right hand corner how the staining goes to green , I really have a feeling that this purple staining must be somthingto do with algae .
Going back to the photo of your koi we see fin rot in the tail which would be indicative of Columnaris disease (Fin rot Gll rot Mouth Rot/Cotton wooland Skin columnaris) all come under ths headiing , I think the purple straining may be throwing us all off here , what do you think ?
I'm going to have a chat with our own clubs Koi Health official about the possible cause of the purple staining and then get back to you if thats ok ?

Dave
Yes I feel that is something different. I seen that today on a fish was am not treating and I am getting the pond going so I can get the ones that look good back in it. And when can I start to treat for that.

Reaction score
What my problem with that is there is not sigh of cotton mouth. I am wondering if it's not some kind of worm. I had today some white blue long skinny things in the pond. I took what I could get out we will see later what I find. and the gills are pink

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I feel that is something different. I seen that today on a fish was am not treating and I am getting the pond going so I can get the ones that look good back in it. And when can I start to treat for that.
No dont do that brenda you have to treat the koi asa whole because if one gets it later then your back to square one again the discriptionn I gave you is a catch all all lumped togeher under colunaris disease you dont have to have mouth rot or gills rot , you do however have fin rot showing in the tail of the dead koi photo you posted

Dave

Reaction score
I use a Koi guy that has had Koi for over 25 years and selling them making ponds etc. He has never seen this purple stuff before so I need some help here.
Did he know how many fish you had in your pond? Do you use and IonGen? Too much copper?

Reaction score
No dont do that brenda you have to treat the koi asa whole because if one gets it later then your back to square one again the discriptionn I gave you is a catch all all lumped togeher under colunaris disease you dont have to have mouth rot or gills rot , you do however have fin rot showing in the tail of the dead koi photo you posted

Dave
what's the best medication to use

Ask a Question