Help! My koi looks like its been skinned. What could it be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
20170831_234813.jpg
I don't know if this is an injury or an infection or what. Seen him isolating in corner of the pond away from the other fish. Caught him with a net to get a better look at him and was horrified that his skin was haging off in large pieces and a lot of skin missing down to his tail. I seperated him from the pond. Checked the levels, all were good. What can I do to treat him?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Could an animal have grabbed him?
It looks just like a cichlid I had years ago that was badly burned by a heater.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ouch, poor baby! Well, my usual response is to keep it in a salt bath, but I don't know about this..... Looks pretty extensive, so hopefully someone else will chime in with advice. Maybe, treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic to prevent infection....? But I'm not a fish medical expert, so please wait for other input. It does look like an injury, at least from this picture. Do you have predators or rocks [they can scrape themselves on rocks]. Definitely keep it isolated and do frequent water changes, if nothing else!

Also, you might want to pop over to KOIPHEN. They have an excellent team of fish experts. They won't suggest a bunch of different treatments [like I just did....], but will get right to the problem [after asking a bunch of questions, of course]. When you post, go to their "emergency" topic. I haven't been on in a while, but I'm sure nothing has changed.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to our group! Sorry about the fish!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If indeed the skin is missing from an area that large, sadly, there may not be much hope of saving this fish. Without the skin, there is no means to secrete a slime coat to protect this area and unprotected this fish is open to every possible bacterial, viral infection and parasitic attack existing in the pond...and there are many. I have serious doubts that even in time that this fish could recover and generate scar tissue to replace the damaged/missing skin.
The most humane thing would be to euthanize this fish for its recovery outlook, even with treatment, is bleak.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If indeed the skin is missing from an area that large, sadly, there may not be much hope of saving this fish. Without the skin, there is no means to secrete a slime coat to protect this area and unprotected this fish is open to every possible bacterial, viral infection and parasitic attack existing in the pond...and there are many. I have serious doubts that even in time that this fish could recover and generate scar tissue to replace the damaged/missing skin.
The most humane thing would be to euthanize this fish for its recovery outlook, even with treatment, is bleak.
Sadly, I think you are right! That's a horrible injury!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Isolate immediately, put some standard antibiotics in the isolation tanks. Ones to cover general bacteria and one to cover fungal infection.

This is likely an infection and I am not sure what kind of an infection. An attack of a predator would result with flesh loss as well not just skin. The fish will need medicated food, so you may have to see a vet if you want it to survive or somehow get a hold of some.

Best of luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Found some on amazon. Hope this is gram negative, but I have a feeling this is gram positive.

BTW Meyer is correct. My suggestions are the way to go if you wanna see if it can be saved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How is this fish acting now? Is it able to swim, eat, balance itself? I agree the outlook is bleak, but I would ask on Koiphen.com , just for the extra piece of mind.

If the decision is made to humanely euthanize the fish, do you know how? In my opinion, using M22 or clove oil, is the most humane method. You add it to some water and the fish will go to sleep and not wake up, providing you leave it there long enough.

I'm really sorry this happened.

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's doing a lot better this morning it seems. He is actively swimming around in isolation tank. Not lethargic nor motionless. I had found an almost empty bottle of fungal and bacterial fish antibiotic and put all of the few drops that were left in the bottle in his water late last night. The wound has turned white. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. But it appears as if it is healing. Heading out to the pond and koi store now to get more of that antibiotic.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He's doing a lot better this morning it seems. He is actively swimming around in isolation tank. Not lethargic nor motionless. I had found an almost empty bottle of fungal and bacterial fish antibiotic and put all of the few drops that were left in the bottle in his water late last night. The wound has turned white. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. But it appears as if it is healing. Heading out to the pond and koi store now to get more of that antibiotic.
Hope it does OK. Please keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
sorry to see this i know i'd be divested more so for the wife as it's her g-pa's pond we relocated and some of the fish are his. regardless of point of origin i'd still be divested.

Ask a Question