Help! my pond is green

Reaction score
I know this is probably the most common problem of a pond but I seriously need help this time.. I had a smaller pond that was crystal clear.
This pond is about 2 feet in deepest area. Its about 8 feet square with shelves and a waterfall. Under the waterfall is a tapered area like a beach that flows into the deep..
I set this up last summer... Ok, water turns green.. not worried. I felt that over time good bacteria would build up and clear up eventually.. I didn't do anything over the winter.. Did keep pump running.
This spring I decide to add some barley extract.. I'm guessing gallons at around 500 or so.. I have 7 gold fish (one has disappeared)
Plants won't grow in this pond.. I had some water lettuce and hyacinths that just sat there. No growing or multiplying.
I dug out my water lily thinking that maybe it was rotting and causing problems.. Well, it had leaves growing out of the bulbs but that's as far as they would go.. leaves about the size of a nickle. Took them out anyway.
1200 gallon pump on waterfall with bioballs and lava rock in the weir. A 250 gallon water pump in another biofilter type box running 24 hours a day.
I feel if I could get the plants to grow I can balance out this water. I've never tested the water for anything.
Full sun for morning till about 4:00
Someone please point me in the right direction. I have noticed the fish spawning.
This water lettuce and hyacinths were bought about 2 months ago.. I am in zone 7
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3833.JPG

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You have way too much surface area on your pond. You need to cover the water so less sunlight gets there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
barley with peat is better and I see no water movement so you need more aeration .Surface area does not matter that much .You also need a liquid test kit now .Your pump is way to small to give you proper aeration and water movement .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Seems your mechanical filtration is seriously lacking water movement. Maybe the pads need cleaning? That pond's got lot's of potential, just take you're time and don't skimp on the necessities.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A little more information, please.
You definitely need more plants. If you have algae, then you have sufficient nutrients to grow plants.
Exactly how old is this pond?
What is the current water temperature?
You may not use it that often but you need to purchase a water test kit and test the water.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In addition to increasing the water circulation, why don't you try some different plants? Submerged plants such as hornwort or anacharis and marginal plants such as blue flag iris, yellow flag iris, pickerel rush, dwarf cattail, to name a few.

Reaction score
If you want to clear up the pond it's as simple as adding a UV light. Get a good one (American Aquarium sells good ones) and you will have clear water in a few days. You can wait for nature to take it's course, which it may never do. Or you can add all sorts of things which will just keep costing more and never do the job.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Any uv will work they do not have to be high dollar I paid 30 dollars for a twist 18 watt one with 3 extra bulbs on ebay from topdogg sellar .You can look on there to see what they have and you can get bulbs on there also .I use a uv at the beginning of spring but spawning really will mess up water also

Reaction score
barley with peat is better and I see no water movement so you need more aeration .Surface area does not matter that much .You also need a liquid test kit now .Your pump is way to small to give you proper aeration and water movement .

1200 gpm pump on waterfall and a smaller pump on the fountain.. i think maybe 750 gpm.... and This is NOT enough for circulation and aeration? Do I still need to get an aerator?

Reaction score
In addition to increasing the water circulation, why don't you try some different plants? Submerged plants such as hornwort or anacharis and marginal plants such as blue flag iris, yellow flag iris, pickerel rush, dwarf cattail, to name a few.

I love your pond... very much similar to mine.... I've tried plants and they look like they just suffer.. I currently have iris that didn't bloom this year. Floating water plants just barely thrive. I have two more small plants.. one is a camelion I think.. they other is suppose to be a big leafy plant but as soon as it puts out a new leaf the older one wilts and dies... I had a lilly but it never grew leaves to the top of the surface. I do want to get some submersible plants tho..

Reaction score
Any uv will work they do not have to be high dollar I paid 30 dollars for a twist 18 watt one with 3 extra bulbs on ebay from topdogg sellar .You can look on there to see what they have and you can get bulbs on there also .I use a uv at the beginning of spring but spawning really will mess up water also

Sounds like a uv light is in order.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is that gph is cut down by length and height of the hose .I have the turbo twist one on a small pump .The twist keeps the water in contact with the uv bulb longer .Always get extra bulbs also .I buy mine on cll pets on ebay .Take your plant out and put them in a tub of water with miracle grow and once they take off put them back in your pond .Stagnant water and not enough aeration can cause plants not to grow .I have seen that in water lettuce and hyacinth .I now have a laguna aerator and gave my others away because they are to small for the new pond I built .I paid 130 dollars at wayfair on ebay 12 port outlet

Ask a Question