Help! My water Hyacinths are dying too!

Jan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new, I have a190 gal in ground preform that I've had for 10 years. there are 14 different pond plants ALL the others are doing great. I have 14 fish goldfish & shubunkin , I know that is high load that is why I depend on the water hyacinth to help with the biological filtration. But they just turn yellow than brown.

I have tested the water, no problems-fertilized all the potted plants when I repotted them this spring. Even moved a WH to another container with same results. Water is clear and the fish seem healthy.

I use Microbe-lift to start beneficial bacteria & Microbe lift Barley Straw Extract to fight the algae The only new thing is I wasn't able to find my old fertilizer and went with Highland Rim aquatic plant fertilizer which came highly recommend.

Four times this year already I have bought new WH plants with the same results. Usually by this time in So Cal I have so many, I can barter with the extras at the Pet Store.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Not a plant expert
But one big problem I had with Floaters is that the fish eat the roots and the plant dies off.
When you pull the plant up out of the water do's it have roots.
It might be that your fish have grown over the years and are not eating the roots.

Another thing would be there is not enough fert (Like Nitrates or other) in the water table for the plants.
I know you fertilized the potted plants but did you the pond it self for the floaters.

If you can test for Nitrates see if there is any it is recommended Nitrates at 20ppm is great for plants.

Ruben

Ask a Question