Help Natural Swimming Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone

My family of 7 have been thinking of creating a swimming pond vs a pool.
I had heard that it is less money and maintenance for a pond over a pool, is this true?
We are looking at DIY a pond or pool.
The wife wants clear water so that she can see what is in it if she is going to swim in it.
I really like the idea of the landscape and over all look of a pond.

The size I have thought about is somewhere around 40 to 60 feet long, 20 feet wide. Have a 3 foot water fall coming from a DIY bog. As well as a small stream on the other side of the pond that trickles down to a skimmer area with an overflow outlet as well as a return pipe back to the bog.
I was also thinking of adding a few jets and lights to the pond as well.

We have never had or created a pond or pool before so any and all insight on all this would be Great.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I out together in my showcase lessons learned a good start. But it is large the first is just what was built and why. the second half is the actual construction.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/12-000-gallon-koi-pond-full-build.141/
i also put together a group of videos with some of the best ponds i have found out there

IF the wife won't go in the water unless she can see everything, than I'd venture to guess she won't like the feeling of anything slimy under her feet either. A salt water pool can solve that but it also removes the ability to have plants or fish in the water. bUT IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T HAVE WATER FALLS OR streams, boulders and rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really like the stream, waterfall, and lighting. However yeah my wife does not want all the wildlife that you have going on in your pond :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is a salt water pond more or less work/money to up keep ?that's hard to say . I believe it will shorten the life span of the liner a little . But no money on plants less work on cleaning. Less life on the pump. You don't need it to be salinity like the ocean . Just high enough to deter algae.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Elephant 2.gif
@Frevis
Sounds like the salt is the way to go for you wife's liking :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I really liked the looks of this pond a lot. But maybe salt would be better

Reaction score
Country
United States
We also live in northern Ohio if that matters at all. We hit clay at around 2 feet deep when digging

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was also watching a video with a guy who had a large saltwater pond for saltwater fish. That said he was talking about things to help clean the pond due to all the algae he had in it.

I say this because it sounds as if a salt water ponds can still have algae and if so then maybe a saltwater pond really wouldn't be any different when it comes to algae/slim.

All that said Im new to all of this and just starting to try and learn/understand, which is why I could use all the help/insight possible

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I really liked the looks of this pond a lot. But maybe salt would be better
That's Brian deckers pond a Aquascapes contractor I believe that's a fresh water just no fish. No fish equals so much less work.
Salt is less physical work but lessens life spans by a little of the pumps and if I'm not mistaken it does damage the liner over the years. The water certainly looks more like a pool buttttttttt. You can do chlorine just like a pool too and have your rocks boulders and waterfall. Just no fish or plants in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I love what you have done, your pond looks Amazing for all that wildlife. But yeah for us we are looking for something that looks nice but used mainly as a pool due to the fact that we have 5 kids and dogs who will be jumping in and out all summer long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
But it would be nice to have something that looks nice for when its too cold to swim that we can still sit around or look out the window at. I would like to build it 13 feet out from the family room so it would be something we could sit and look at from inside even.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I love what you have done, your pond looks Amazing for all that wildlife. But yeah for us we are looking for something that looks nice but used mainly as a pool due to the fact that we have 5 kids and dogs who will be jumping in and out all summer long.
Well the kids certainly won't mind swimming after a turtle . Or sneaking up on a frog. Watching the dragon flies and the birds taking a bath. To be honest . As green as people claim that they are I work in the woods all day every day I drive through the neighborhoods and I NEVER SEE KIDS PLAYING OUTSIDE. We have lots a critical part of humanity To x box...

Just for thought while kids are young have the wildlife pond it can always be converted in 5 years to chlorine or salt. For the adults.
Sorry not trying to lay a guilt trip or anything on you. Just me being voiceterous . Who can't spell.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have given me some ideas and things to think about.
I have also started looking into some Natural swimming pool/ponds with saltwater.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A MUST WITH THE SALT POOLS IS AN OUTDOOR SHOWER BY THE POOL

Ask a Question