Help need with building pond

Reaction score
Hello,

I was at Lowes and I saw a smartpond Patio Pond Kit. I was going to buy it, but I had a question about it and another option. Does anyone know if the filter needs to be plugged into the power?

I was also considering just building a planter box and using it for an aboveground pond. Can pond liner be glued to wood?

Thanks,
Dan

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
Dan
I would think any filter would have to be run by a pump which needs to be hooked up to power. I tried to click on the link but it said they were under renovation at the moment and to check back later. You could for sure build your own box pond and connect the liner to wood in different ways. I have not done that but others here will let ya know how to do it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard, the smartpond is a basic kit that supplies all you need for a new beggining to pond keeping. But they are small and they are just big enough for 1-2 goldfish and a few nice plants. Building a box and putting a liner in it gives you far more options of where you want to put it and make installing closer to power as easier option. the liner dows not need to be glued but you do need to construct a strong enough box to withstand the water pressure behind the liner. the water pressure will hold the liner firmly in place on its own.

Reaction score
welcome aboard, the smartpond is a basic kit that supplies all you need for a new beggining to pond keeping. But they are small and they are just big enough for 1-2 goldfish and a few nice plants. Building a box and putting a liner in it gives you far more options of where you want to put it and make installing closer to power as easier option. the liner dows not need to be glued but you do need to construct a strong enough box to withstand the water pressure behind the liner. the water pressure will hold the liner firmly in place on its own.

Thanks for the help. Any kind of pond will need cables running out of it for power. What are the best way to hide thouse?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We put ours in conduit and buried it from house to pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
DH buried mine just a month or so ago after 10 yrs and put in a new box for the hookups! For the longest time I just used heavy duty extension cords ran along the ground.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
stock tank easy also .Tractor supply has them on sale 100 gallon 69 dollars .rubbermaid .Then all you need is a small pump with a prefilter if you have no fish or don't mind cleaning the filter often

Ask a Question