help needed for scrape parasite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My Fish in the pond started flashing and all water samples are within guidlines so I have just tried a scrape but as a newbie to all this I have found the following which at a wild guess could be chilodonella and Im panicking . I have added pictures it slowly moves and rotates 20180819_181518.jpg 20180819_181514.jpg 20180819_181122.jpg 20180819_181518.jpg

Thanks
20180819_181518.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
All the fish were flashing, or just certain ones?
Have there been any water quality issues since you set it up and did you confirm that the initial nitrogen cycle had been established before you added the fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the fish are flashing and the cycle seems fine as the ammonia and nitrates/ites are 0 . We have soft water so it's maybe a bit low. I have since scraped another koi and have confirmed costia as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok, I'm sure the cycle is established now, but my concern is if the fish were put into a pond that had not yet cycled and could have had their gills weakened from ammonia poisoning.
Here is a great website with some parasite identification and treatment procedures.
http://www.koiquest.co.uk/para.html

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mmathis, the pond is 18feet x 7 feet and close to 5000litres I have the exact figure in a book in the garage but I'm at work. There are 7 koi, 2 trench,2 dwarf surgeon the biggest fish is about 6 inches smallest about 3

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Stephen1212 I know that you are worried about your fish — I would be, too — but I’m confused and could use some clarification. Are you asking for us to confirm what you are seeing under the scope? Or are you asking us what you should do to treat your fish?

Five thousand liters comes out to around 1500 gallons. How deep is your pond? When I plugged in the dimensions you gave (minus a depth), it came out to maybe 2’ deep. Does this sound right?

I am not in the least bit versed in fish diseases, so couldn’t begin to tell you what you should do. A few random organisms, alone don’t indicate an infection, but you say that all of your fish are flashing. This does indicate that something is going on. For one thing, I think your pond is way overstocked, which would be a cause for stress and poor water quality — the main ingredients for sick fish. I think the first thing you need to do is get some of those fish out of there! As far as treatment, maybe @MitchM can recommend the best way to medicate, but you need to start by reducing that fish load!

Can you give us the exact number results you are getting for your water tests? How long has the pond been running? A few pictures would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told rightly or wrongly that I could have 100 inches of fish in 1000 gallon pond and at the moment there is 28 inches of koi and 12 inches of surgeon and 8 inches of tench. Being new at this I can only go with what I am told.

I took a scrape from 4 fish all showed the parasite in the picture and 3 showed wee coma things zipping about which I could identify.

I was just looking for clarification on what the parasite was as I was not sure and didn't want to treat wrongly.

The pond has varying depths for different plants and rocks it's deepest at just over 4 feet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ph 8.3
KH 7
Gh 3
Nh3 ..0
No2..0
No3..just visible so would be 5mg/l at most
Po4..0
O2..between 8-11mg/l
Cl2...0
These have been done twice a week for the last 3week to make sure it wasn't a water problem until I got my microscope.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was told rightly or wrongly that I could have 100 inches of fish in 1000 gallon pond

That's a myth that circulates on a regular basis - I think it's a carryover from aquarium thinking that does not apply to pond fish. Body mass is a critical factor - 28 inches of koi produce way more waste than 28 inches of goldfish, for example. And even if the "formula" was correct, those seven 4 inch koi you currently have won't be 4 inches long forever - how will the math work when you have seven 25 or 30 inch koi in a 1000 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks mitchm, I am treating the pond the now, I have lost 2 fish but I suspect the fish came with these parasites as the fish that I have lost all came from the same dealer.

Lisak1 I wasn't looking to be given a hard time for having a over stocked pond in 5 years time at the moment the water quality is fine and since I have just lost 2 it won't be that over stocked...with a new pond I was expecting some loses until everything settles and I get the hang of it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Stephen1212 I’m not glad that you have parasites, but I am glad that you have been able to ID them! I have scraped and scoped many times, but I never find anything. Which is not a bad thing, since I guess that means that I do not have parasites, but it has always frustrated me! I have found all kind of interesting things under the scope, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisak1 I wasn't looking to be given a hard time for having a over stocked pond in 5 years time

Sorry you felt I was giving you a hard time - definitely not my intention. I was actually addressing the advice you were given about inches of fish per gallon of water in a pond. It seems it's often overlooked that a 4 inch koi can be a 14 inch koi in a year's time. Just general commentary - nothing personal.

I hope you get things sorted out.

Ask a Question