Help Needed Installing a Large Liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The liner arrived today, 40 x 50 ft and 590 lbs. I have a crew coming in the morning to get the liner in and I am paying them by the hour so I need to figure this out in advance. It looks like it was folded and rolled, and the long side is on the roll. Access into the pond is on the long side of the pond. If I unfold and roll it into the pond from the long side, it will be in the pond the wrong way. The seller's only suggestion is to unroll it and then once it is in the pond, turn it around, or unroll it completely next to the pond and then drag it in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd love to help but this sounds like a geometry question! How many people do you have coming?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Then I could see unrolling it beside the pond and folding it in half, laying it folded half in the pond and then unfolding it to the other side, if that makes sense.

Reaction score
I would unroll it on the ground and pull it over/into the pond. If you have to lift it out of the pond once it's partially in then it's going to be very heavy. Be sure that if it has any markings on it that you put them on the bottom so that they don't show.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My liner was 45 x 50 and myself and 2 neighbors unrolled it beside the pond and unfolded it towards the pond and pulled it over and into the pond and none of us are young pups. One thing that helped, was prior to that, I unrolled the liner in the front yard and re-folded and rolled it so I knew what direction all the folds were going be once it was unrolled because I didn't have that much room beside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I decided that the best thing to do was remove the giant pile of rocks I had at one end. I had thought of refolding the liner beside the pond but I would have ended up paying a lot more for installation. I hated to move those rocks. I moved them once, to the end, then again, to the far side, then I will have to move them again! I worked until it was dark but managed to make a path wide enough for the fork lift to get through. They had the liner in the pond really quickly!
Now, another question:
How do I get the talc powder out of the pond? Everything I have read says rinse the liner, but where is it going to go? To the bottom of the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You rinse it before you put it in the pond like on the grass when it's flat. Now it's too late so you could suck it out w/a pump while you spray water all over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think so...it's too big. It's not something I could do by myself and it cost me $300 to have a crew install it. I paid by the hour. It would have been another $300 to have them unroll and unfold, hose it down, then refold and reroll. I'll pump it but it settles at the bottom. Perhaps if I keep stirring it up as it's draining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All I am going to have is a skimmer and small waterfall filter. Will that do it? The powder seems so fine...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What type of filtering materials are in your filter? That could make a difference. Quilt batting can catch a whole lot of stuff in the water.
Barb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Barb. The filter isn't set up yet. If quilt batting might work, I can try aquarium filter floss. I have bags full of it. I don't know if the filter is going to get it up off the bottom though. I guess I'll see!

Ask a Question