Help Needed Small DYI Presurized Bio Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I currently have a 2300 GPH pump feeding an OASE pressure filter with a UV light that currently serves as both my bio and mechanical filter. I would like to put a BIO ONLY filter between this pressure filter and my waterfall for extra bio filtering.

I do not want to use one of the large 55 gallon drum setups I have seen as I would like something more much less obtrusive. My pond is only 500 gallons and in a very small yard and I would like to keep the whole setup as natural as possible. I plan to only have bio balls stored in this 2nd filter container as the water coming to it will have already been mechanically filtered. I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have any one have any recommendations for a smaller container (5-10 gallons) I could use that would hold pressure with the 2,300 GPH pump behind it?

2) Will I be able to just dump the BIO balls into the container or will they need to be secured in some way so they do not bump around as the water is moved through the container?

Thank you in advance for you assistance!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you want natural, do a small bog.
If it's sized properly it might be the only filter you'll need. It's surface area should be 30% of the pond surface area.

You grow plants in it, so it just looks like a planter or small garden. That's as natural as it gets.

You can use any container that will hold water or lay a liner in to hold water.
Window planters, a stock tank, wooden box. It can be multiple containers or just one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
If you want natural, do a small bog.
If it's sized properly it might be the only filter you'll need. It's surface area should be 30% of the pond surface area.

You grow plants in it, so it just looks like a planter or small garden. That's as natural as it gets.

You can use any container that will hold water or lay a liner in to hold water.
Window planters, a stock tank, wooden box. It can be multiple containers or just one.

My yard is actually a very small courtyard. It will be difficult to add 30% to the pond with out it taking over the area. I also do not want to add another pump to the system as the wife is very adamant that no pumps/hoses should be visible in the pond. I tend to agree which is why we have the current pump hidden in the skimmer.

I do appreciate the idea... that's what I'm looking for here. Solutions I had not thought of yet and I will do some more research on bogs, but I'm worried my footprint will prevent this option.

Baring that does anyone had any ideas around the original questions below?

1) Does anyone have any one have any recommendations for a smaller container (5-10 gallons) I could use that would hold pressure with the 2,300 GPH pump behind it?

2) Will I be able to just dump the BIO balls into the container or will they need to be secured in some way so they do not bump around as the water is moved through the container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'd suggest a mesh laundry bag to contain the bio balls so they aren't floating around. Rinse the bag well before you use it.
In terms of a container, maybe a Big Box Store handy bucket with a lid? They are pretty sturdy and inexpensive, you can drill holes for hoses and outlets, and if it can't take the pressure, it isn't big bucks, uh, down the drain (couldn't resist). I like poconojoe's bog suggestion, if you can find room for one. Maybe post a picture of your pond? I'm not arguing, just inquiring, but why do you want more biofiltration? Are you trying to solve a specific problem? Hope this helps, good luck.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I seriously doubt that a 5-10 gallon container will handle 2300gph. Even with a water tight lid your fittings would probably blow out. I have a 35 gallon barrel filter (not pressure). It can barely handle 800gph with a 2" outlet. I have had pressure canister filters that had bio balls, a grid and then the layers of foam on top,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't mean to beat the subject to death, but if you had a couple of long narrow window box planters overhanging the pond, they can serve as natural filters.
They won't take up much room since they are narrow.
They will be filled with plants, so they would hardly be noticed.

Water gets pumped to the bottom of them through PVC pipes that have slits cut in them. That pipe is covered with pea gravel and plants are grown directly in the gravel, no pots, no soil.

The water rises up through the gravel and returns to the pond. The gravel acts as a bio filter where beneficial bacteria colonize and the plants suck up the excess nutrients, starving out the algae.

A lot of us have larger versions of this and it works great. Clear water and no rinsing out any filter pads.

So, it's just a suggestion a lot of us advocate for because it works so well and there's almost no maintenance. It's the best thing I've done for me and my pond.

I'll end it there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think your looking at this backwards have you given a shower a thought. bio balls are meant for a shower application k1 is more of a floating around material

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I'd suggest a mesh laundry bag to contain the bio balls so they aren't floating around. Rinse the bag well before you use it.
In terms of a container, maybe a Big Box Store handy bucket with a lid? They are pretty sturdy and inexpensive, you can drill holes for hoses and outlets, and if it can't take the pressure, it isn't big bucks, uh, down the drain (couldn't resist). I like poconojoe's bog suggestion, if you can find room for one. Maybe post a picture of your pond? I'm not arguing, just inquiring, but why do you want more biofiltration? Are you trying to solve a specific problem? Hope this helps, good luck.

I originally planned to under stock the pond, but after an impulse buy, some rescues, plus the goldfish I originally planned to get I'm now a bit overstocked. Water is crystal clear and I test regularly with no issues. I'm just trying to be pro-active instead of re-active as I know the fish will keep growing.

Pictures of yard + pond attached

Attachments

• Pond and Yard 2.JPG
    Pond and Yard 2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Pond and Yard 1.JPG
    Pond and Yard 1.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I seriously doubt that a 5-10 gallon container will handle 2300gph. Even with a water tight lid your fittings would probably blow out. I have a 35 gallon barrel filter (not pressure). It can barely handle 800gph with a 2" outlet. I have had pressure canister filters that had bio balls, a grid and then the layers of foam on top,

Thank you for the above... that's what I originally was asking and needed to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Don't mean to beat the subject to death, but if you had a couple of long narrow window box planters overhanging the pond, they can serve as natural filters.
They won't take up much room since they are narrow.
They will be filled with plants, so they would hardly be noticed.

Water gets pumped to the bottom of them through PVC pipes that have slits cut in them. That pipe is covered with pea gravel and plants are grown directly in the gravel, no pots, no soil.

The water rises up through the gravel and returns to the pond. The gravel acts as a bio filter where beneficial bacteria colonize and the plants suck up the excess nutrients, starving out the algae.

A lot of us have larger versions of this and it works great. Clear water and no rinsing out any filter pads.

So, it's just a suggestion a lot of us advocate for because it works so well and there's almost no maintenance. It's the best thing I've done for me and my pond.

I'll end it there.

I did not think something that small would work, but if it would this could be an option.

Do you have any pictures of this setup and how they attach overhanging the pond?

Where do you hide the pump that forces water in the PVC pipes, is any mechanical per-filtering required, and how do you calculate the size of the pump you need?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I think your looking at this backwards have you given a shower a thought. bio balls are meant for a shower application k1 is more of a floating around material

I did consider a shower filter. It was actually my first choice, but I don't have anywhere to "hide" a tower of plastic or metal containers.

I appreciate the insight on the filter media. Do you have any media would you recomend for a bio-falls... that was something I was also considering as an option.

BTW... I clicked on your link to your pond build. That is pretty fantastic. Well done!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I did not think something that small would work, but if it would this could be an option.

Do you have any pictures of this setup and how they attach overhanging the pond?

Where do you hide the pump that forces water in the PVC pipes, is any mechanical per-filtering required, and how do you calculate the size of the pump you need?

Thank you!
I use a submersible pump. It's in the pond opposite the bog. The pump is held off the bottom with a string so it doesn't suck up any debris that may have collected down there. I use a net once in a while to scoop up any of that.

My pond is larger than yours, so you won't need such a large bog or pump.
The bog's surface area should be about 30% of the pond's surface area if your filtering exclusively with the bog.

The water gets pumped into the bottom of the bog through a PVC pipe with slits cut in it. The pipe is covered with pea gravel or river stone. The water rises up through the gravel and flows back to the pond via a waterfall or spillway.

Plants are grown directly in the bog's gravel, no pots, no soil.

What happens is the gravel serves as a place for beneficial bacteria to colonize and the plants feed on the excess nutrients. The results are crystal clear water and just about zero maintenance.

Many have done this on a large scale and others on a much smaller scale. It's proportional to the size of your pond.

A smaller example might be a stock tank or a window box planter sitting against the pond with a spillway cut out or a pipe for the return water. Plants can be grown around this to hide the sides.

I don't use any other filters. I sold my two inadequate pressure filters and UV light.

Here's my bog build to give you a better idea, but keep in mind that mine is a much larger scale than you will need.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-add-on-bog-build.26848/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I read the post and actually like the idea, but Iwould have to have this on a MUCH smaller scale. I'm just not sure where it would go in my yard as I'm pretty much already out of room. I could possibly make it work with a container... I will look into it. TY.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I read the post and actually like the idea, but Iwould have to have this on a MUCH smaller scale. I'm just not sure where it would go in my yard as I'm pretty much already out of room. I could possibly make it work with a container... I will look into it. TY.
You could remove the pile of rocks behind your waterfall and place it there. The water can return to the pond via your reworked waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did consider a shower filter. It was actually my first choice, but I don't have anywhere to "hide" a tower of plastic or metal containers.

I appreciate the insight on the filter media. Do you have any media would you recommend for a bio-falls... that was something I was also considering as an option.

BTW... I clicked on your link to your pond build. That is pretty fantastic. Well done!
The shower filters really do a great job and though most people don't hide them i myself would with like a trellis of clematis" i hope i got that right". its a vining flowering plant very beautiful. along with some creeping jenny could be amazing.
if not in a shower set up i believe k1 is a better alternative for half the price. but even in a shower configuration i like the ribbon though i have never used it.

Thanks for the compliment . ITS BEEN A LABOR OF LOVE . but as a builder i had no issues going for it. if it failed i know how to use a dozer too. thank fully that hasn't been the case

Ask a Question