Help Needed

Reaction score
:beerchug:

I dug my pond out last summer and all seemed ok(ish) the water was a bit green but I thought for a new pond not too bad, well in early Feb we had a bit of sunshine and all went very green and algi was everywhere all little bits floating under the surface. So I purchased another filter but again the algi is still there.

My set up !!!!

10000 Litres of water - a 12000 litre pump splitting off to 2 x 10000 litre filters each with a 9 UV.

Fish stock is of about 40 fish, largest ones about 12 inches x about 7 all the others about 4 inches upto 6 inches but the pond is big.

Do I need a bigger filter system ???

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :bowdown: I want a clear pond :banghead3:

Thanks x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A 40 watt UV lamp will do the trick.
m2evs said:
:beerchug:

I dug my pond out last summer and all seemed ok(ish) the water was a bit green but I thought for a new pond not too bad, well in early Feb we had a bit of sunshine and all went very green and algi was everywhere all little bits floating under the surface. So I purchased another filter but again the algi is still there.

My set up !!!!

10000 Litres of water - a 12000 litre pump splitting off to 2 x 10000 litre filters each with a 9 UV.

Fish stock is of about 40 fish, largest ones about 12 inches x about 7 all the others about 4 inches upto 6 inches but the pond is big.

Do I need a bigger filter system ???

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :bowdown: I want a clear pond :banghead3:

Thanks x

Reaction score
Can you put a 40w UV lamp in a filter system which is only supposed to have a 9w one ine it?? or will I need to buy a seperate uv system, if so where is the best place to connect it ? before the filter or after ???

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Connect it after the filter and yes you will have to buy a new unit.

Reaction score
so i take it your pond is about 5000gal US?. I'm not too good on the conversion. But a 9 watt uv is way too small for that size. and the pump is way too big for it. the water is going through it too fast to kill any algi.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a waterfall? I have heard that a basket (from dollar store, laundry basket, or milk crate) full of quilt batting (the fluffy stuff) set underneath a waterfall will get the green gone pretty darn quick! Even better if you use a "sludge remover" along with it.

Reaction score
40 fish is simply way to much! And previous poster that mentioned the water going through the uv was correct. You need to put a t connected with a regulator on it to slow the flow. I would say it's debatable as to whether the uv is too small because in all reality it isn't needed. Less fish and lots of plants will = success! More plants than you can imagine!

Ask a Question