Help on my outdoor pond. Fish are dying.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All the fish that are dead..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Nicole galindo I'm sure you're feeling overwhelmed but hang in there and please do provide us with more information about your pond so we might be able to help keep this from happening again in the future. If you could start with answering the questions that @Mmathis requested in post #5 above that would help us a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So in the shallow parts 8 inches where the fountain is I wasn’t able to go deeper but the outer parts about 1foot. But my pint is about 5.5ft wide by 9-10ft long. I have always had a bunch of fish. And I called th city again and now they are saying there has always been chlorine in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some suggest that you shouldn't change all the water at one time or scrub your liner. I can think of some reasons why this might be true.
I would call the water department and ask if they have made any recent changes to the water. It is rare not to have chlorine or chloramine added to a public water distribution system.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they are adding different chemicals now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cleaning the pond like that is never good and all city water has chemicals in it .Even well water can have stuff in it .I test my well water 2 times a year ,better safe than sorry

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always done either 90% water changes and or full water changes where I take my fish out and get all the fish poop and leaves from my garden out of the bottom and I normally use my broom to scrub the bottom but it doesn’t get the tuff algae just the surface algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use Pond Prime by Seachem , it removes both chlorine and chloramines. It's not inexpensive, but it's easy to use and you don't need very much. Very sorry for the loss of your pond fish :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I’m just goin to guess it was the dobie brush since that’s the only thing I have done different. In the 2 years I have had my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It could be the chlorine. The concentration leaving the facility can vary depending on the day. Chlorine will also dissipate along route to the home. Left to sit for hours or a day will also reduce the amount of chlorine. Depending on the circumstances the concentration could have been very low in the past. Also chlorine gets neutralized with organic matter so any slime on the pond or residual old pond water could have used up the chlorine. If you drain the pond but don't scrub it, then add new water with a little old water left and then wait a few hours there is a good chance the concentration of chlorine would be low enough not to kill the fish.

The above is not true for chloramine. Chloramine is used instead of chlorine because it is more stable in the distribution system and after it arrives at the end user. Chlorine may be gone in a day but it may take chloramine two weeks or more to neutralize.

Ask a Question