Help! Paint Scum in Pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone. We put a piece of plywood over our smallish pond over the winter to avoid broken legs and such. This past winter we put a piece on that was painted black. Now that we have removed it we find we have an ecological disaster in there, black paint scum floating on top and contaminating the entire pond. My fish are comfortable in my basement so they aren't affected. I will need to completely clean this pond with some sort of detergent to have it habitable for my fish. Does anyone have any recommendations? If I use just regular dish soap and rinse really well will it be okay or will there be soap lurking about ready to kill my fish. Is there a soap that is best to use for this purpose? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If bits are floating, or there is oil or spirits on the surface, net out the bits, gently flush out the oily solvents on the surface

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think a power washer might help get any paint bits stuck to the liner out into the open water. I have never had problems with power washing my liner or the rocks in my pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would think a power washer might help get any paint bits stuck to the liner out into the open water. I have never had problems with power washing my liner or the rocks in my pond.

Power washing of ponds is a very destructive practice. It severely sets back the biological balance in a pond.

Ask a Question