help ph

Reaction score
ok im going to tell you every thing in my pond cos my ph has gone from 7.8 to 8.8 and my fish are getting fungus from it agien my pond is 1724 litres. i have oxy plants 2 water lillys bullrushes in pots i use stones in the pots to keep the soil in but they are the stones that u would use in a fish tank so cant be that my water is going cloudy and green since it started rising
tony

Reaction score
gosh, again!!??

Have you been doing your water changes weekly? It just seems like your pond has never cycled with the proper level of bacteria....

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your pH history, but do you have anything that can be buffering it up? Any seashells, coral. limestone, marble, aragonite sand, concrete thats not been sealed. Are there any rocks or stone in the pond. if so you can do an acid test on it with vinegar to see if they are the culprit. 8.8 is pretty high, but no problem for your marine tank your dying to fish in. Usually establishing a cycle pH goes the other way to acidic.

Reaction score
Squidhead said:
I'm not familiar with your pH history, but do you have anything that can be buffering it up? Any seashells, coral. limestone, marble, aragonite sand, concrete thats not been sealed. Are there any rocks or stone in the pond. if so you can do an acid test on it with vinegar to see if they are the culprit. 8.8 is pretty high, but no problem for your marine tank your dying to fish in. Usually establishing a cycle pH goes the other way to acidic.

i did have paving slabs around the pond i did the acid test no bubbling i have remove the stones and used wooden beams i was told to empty my pond because of the fungus and clean every thing and start over so i did one week ago thats why i havent got any bactria yet i did use some bactria in a bottle when i started the filter agien and i used stress coat and de clorine stuff too it was all perfect for a week then ph went like this it was really hot today ive got no shells sand only small stones to hold the soil in the pots but there the stones people use in there tanks. i have been doing my water changes i have got 2 clown fish in my marine tank all the water in there is perfect
tony

Reaction score
im putting grass round the edge of the pond today see if that helps the fish are in side in a tank now till next year im going to let the water sort it self out first

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
tony0010 said:
im putting grass round the edge of the pond today see if that helps the fish are in side in a tank now till next year im going to let the water sort it self out first

ive got to say that keep moving the fish in and out of the pond isnt helping them it causes stress which leaves them more open to infections

Reaction score
stroppy said:
ive got to say that keep moving the fish in and out of the pond isnt helping them it causes stress which leaves them more open to infections

its not my fault one min my pond is perfect next its going down hill fast id rather have them in great water in a tank inside then in the deadly pond witch im pulling out and filling in i have just ordered a 4 foot tank for my goldfish i hate ponds so mutch now im never gunna try agien ive spent loads of money on it too its a shame
tony

Reaction score
Tony, what is the pH of the tap water? Straight out of the tap and 24 hours later. There has got to be a reason your water is getting buffered up? A KH test on both pond and tap water would be useful also if possible. I have had my share of mystery pH problems and it took me a bit but they where resolved.

Reaction score
Squidhead said:
Tony, what is the pH of the tap water? Straight out of the tap and 24 hours later. There has got to be a reason your water is getting buffered up? A KH test on both pond and tap water would be useful also if possible. I have had my share of mystery pH problems and it took me a bit but they where resolved.

witch test is the kh ill test my tap water now ok just done my tap water 7.2 ph my pond today has gone so green
tony

Reaction score
last time i had kh test on my other testing kit i had it was 6 wot ever that means but that was month ago i have got a new test kit now api master kit

Reaction score
tony0010 said:
last time i had kh test on my other testing kit i had it was 6 wot ever that means but that was month ago i have got a new test kit now api master kit

KH is carbonate hardness. a level of 6 I am assuming is 6dKH ( 6 degrees carbonate hardness) or 107.4 ppm which is great! KH can be related to a high pH, but in this case, if the levels are still the same and that test was accurate, not.

Take a sample of your tap water today. A small clean disposable cup will do or the test tube from the API even. Leave it out until tomorrow and test it again. I don't think the green water is related to the high pH. Usually a higher pH would do just the opposite.

Do you have well water by chance?

Reaction score
Squidhead said:
KH is carbonate hardness. a level of 6 I am assuming is 6dKH ( 6 degrees carbonate hardness) or 107.4 ppm which is great! KH can be related to a high pH, but in this case, if the levels are still the same and that test was accurate, not.

Take a sample of your tap water today. A small clean disposable cup will do or the test tube from the API even. Leave it out until tomorrow and test it again. I don't think the green water is related to the high pH. Usually a higher pH would do just the opposite.

Do you have well water by chance?

i havent got a kh test any more they were on my old test strip ill have to get one ill leave some tap water out to test ph for tommrow agein i donty have a well

Reaction score
stroppy said:
just an idea tony are you also testing your water in your tank ?...dont give up yet we all have problems at times with our ponds :0)

i am keeping an extra close eye on my water in the tank testing every day for every thing
tony

Reaction score
ive just been told 8.8 is fine for goldfish it brings the coulour out better its when its to low i should worry by my cousen who has a huge fish store in the states he said the fungus is just cos ive never really got rid of it the first time cos of there open wounds some of the fish have
tony

Ask a Question