Help please, ammonia 8ppm!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ignore that, I'm stressed and confused! It was 100 percent rinsed in POND water and always has been!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for clearing that up. It was really confusing me!

I would keep an eye on your KH. If it falls below six it can be raised with a little baking soda. It needs periodic boosting and doesn't have to be a specific number. I try to keep mine around 12 or more, so there is a wide range of acceptance.

Maybe the additional filter will get going soon and take care of that ammonia. It's obvious that you have some bacteria of both types needed. Maybe there is just not enough for the fish load you have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for clearing that up. It was really confusing me!

I would keep an eye on your KH. If it falls below six it can be raised with a little baking soda. It needs periodic boosting and doesn't have to be a specific number. I try to keep mine around 12 or more, so there is a wide range of acceptance.

Maybe the additional filter will get going soon and take care of that ammonia. It's obvious that you have some bacteria of both types needed. Maybe there is just not enough for the fish load you have.
Thank ypu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, could it help at least short term to put bacteria in? It is really frustrating as I've known people have a much greater load, eg solitary fish living in a bowl for years, smaller pond with no filtration...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not likely to help either. The type of bacteria that you buy in a bottle is not actually the ones you need for the nitrogen cycle. Those beneficial bacteria won't live long enough to be bottled, shipped and stored on a shelf. You can buy the right type, but it has to be shipped cooled and overnight, so it is pretty expensive.

Since you already have some bacteria in the other filter, it shouldn't take so long to get more established in the new filter. It's not like it has to start from scratch, and the bacteria can double in quantity very quickly, in as little as 20 minutes, if the temperature, food supply (ammonia), and adequate surfaces to grow on are available. The conditions would have to be perfect for it to grow that fast, but even in less than perfect conditions, it will grow very quickly as long as there is nothing to inhibit that growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not likely to help either. The type of bacteria that you buy in a bottle is not actually the ones you need for the nitrogen cycle. Those beneficial bacteria won't live long enough to be bottled, shipped and stored on a shelf. You can buy the right type, but it has to be shipped cooled and overnight, so it is pretty expensive.

Since you already have some bacteria in the other filter, it shouldn't take so long to get more established in the new filter. It's not like it has to start from scratch, and the bacteria can double in quantity very quickly, in as little as 20 minutes, if the temperature, food supply (ammonia), and adequate surfaces to grow on are available. The conditions would have to be perfect for it to grow that fast, but even in less than perfect conditions, it will grow very quickly as long as there is nothing to inhibit that growth.
Thanks so much, so I should just continue with ammo lock (will bacteria feed on non toxic form?) and hope it settles? Nitrate is higher than usual, it's been the ammonia that's high till now... what a rip off if all the expensive bacteria don't work... should I also put any nitrate remover in? Good news is fish genuinely look OK but am worried!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh and should I do water changes and any recommendations on how much and how often? Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The nitrate is increasing because the nitrogen cycle is working. That's a good thing. Nitrate is the final step in that cycle.

Nitrate can be lessened with water changes and with putting more plants in the pond. Plants will feed on the nitrate.

Please do continue to use the ammo lock. Otherwise the fish will be exposed to all that ammonia and that probably won't end well for them. The bacteria will feed on the non toxic ammonia and will keep the cycle going and the bacteria growing.

I would keep doing the water changes. The 30% you have been doing is fine. I know others will disagree with this, but I believe in regular water changes. Just keep an eye on the nitrate and when it gets too high for your comfort, do a water change.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted on your dilemma. I hope it sorts itself out very soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing to struggle a bit. Readings as follows:
In addition to previous tap and pond readings:
5th June NH3 4, NO2 2, NO3 40 (Didn't do all tests).
11 June PH 6.5, NH3 4, NO2 1, NO3 20, KH 5, GH 24.
13 June PH 6.5, NH3 5, NO2 0.5, KH 3, GH 21.

I've been using ammo lock every 48 hours and this morning put in the seachem equivalent, which can be done daily but can bind for 72 hours.

Pond is 660l in a shady spot, 2 pumps due to the issue, either of which should be more than adequate. Don't know why it's so erratic. Ammonia problem going on for months, I know pond overstocked with 4 6+in goldies, bit frustrating when I've seen others in far worse situations! Lots of pond plants.

Will now get some bicarb as KH so low, which surprises me as limestone/hard water area. The GH is consistently v high, would bicarb make it worse?

Fish were up at surface around 6 days ago and showed a bit of interest in food for the first time this year, but not since. They do seem to be lurking at bottom last 2 days and have hardly seen them but no other obvious health or behavioural issues now or throughout this....

Thank you so much if you can make time to advise!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KH is used in the nitrogen cycle. The cycle produces acid and the KH is alkalinity, so it will fall as it is depleted during the ongoing nitrogen cycle. It needs to be periodically boosted to replace what is used up.

Your pH is acidic and the bacteria you need have a hard time growing in acidic water, so this is slowing down any progress with your pond. You need to add the baking soda to raise that pH and KH.

The GH is not a problem and I can't even remember when I last checked mine. KH is much more critical.

Just be sure to raise the KH and pH slowly so you don't shock the fish. Also be aware that ammonia is more toxic at a higher pH than where it is currently. So keep to your routine with the ammo-lock. But you are between a rock and a hard place here since the cycle can't function well at that pH, so that needs to come up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
KH is used in the nitrogen cycle. The cycle produces acid and the KH is alkalinity, so it will fall as it is depleted during the ongoing nitrogen cycle. It needs to be periodically boosted to replace what is used up.

Your pH is acidic and the bacteria you need have a hard time growing in acidic water, so this is slowing down any progress with your pond. You need to add the baking soda to raise that pH and KH.

The GH is not a problem and I can't even remember when I last checked mine. KH is much more critical.

Just be sure to raise the KH and pH slowly so you don't shock the fish. Also be aware that ammonia is more toxic at a higher pH than where it is currently. So keep to your routine with the ammo-lock. But you are between a rock and a hard place here since the cycle can't function well at that pH, so that needs to come up.
Thank you so much again. It is a surprise, PH been as high as 8.5 in past. Will add slowly as suggested. Could you give me an indication of dosing per litre or gallon?

Ask a Question