Help please. Are these tumors?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If these are tumors, I’m reading that there is not much I can do and to take a wait and see approach. Fish is acting normal and eating. Every other fish looks fine.
7A29064C-4D65-461B-A742-039CDA98410E.jpeg
FA294F62-9DD2-4C18-A803-8D643EC93E8D.jpeg
6F730FB4-2486-4972-9FF7-72E1592D1681.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In the sense that "tumor" is a descriptive word for a type of growth on the skin, then I would say yes these are tumors. The question is what is causing them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the sense that "tumor" is a descriptive word for a type of growth on the skin, then I would say yes these are tumors. The question is what is causing them.
I’ve read a number of people discuss this. The fish swims around normally, eats normally, acts normally. Some say if the fish seems normal, just let it be. In terms of causes, is it usually due to poor water quality? I haven’t tested the water in awhile (will today), but the rest of the fish look healthy and the pond was just reopened after being shut for four months. Been about 1.5 weeks since I reopened it. The water is now clear again. Already did one 6 inch back flush. About to do another today. May take 1-2 feet out and add fresh water back. We have well water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am by no means a fish expert, but generally I go with the "observe before you treat" method for most everything I encounter. If the fish is behaving normally then I too would just wait and see.

I'm not a proponent of water changes - never do them intentionally myself - but much depends on the size of the pond. Smaller ponds probably benefit from fresh water. Are you able to do a trickle water change rather than a larger scale change? Water changes can add stress for fish which can just exacerbate an existing problem.

How many gallons is your pond? What type of filtration are you using? How many fish do you have in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am by no means a fish expert, but generally I go with the "observe before you treat" method for most everything I encounter. If the fish is behaving normally then I too would just wait and see.

I'm not a proponent of water changes - never do them intentionally myself - but much depends on the size of the pond. Smaller ponds probably benefit from fresh water. Are you able to do a trickle water change rather than a larger scale change? Water changes can add stress for fish which can just exacerbate an existing problem.

How many gallons is your pond? What type of filtration are you using? How many fish do you have in the pond?
I generally don’t do water changes that often. And I’ve been told and agree with your view that doing water changes can stress the fish. Do you think I should avoid backflushing at all if the water seems clear and tests out fine? Our pond is approximately 17 ft by 4ft and 3 ft deep. But it’s curved and has some ledges so that’s approximate. Probably between 1700 and 2000 gallons. We have a pump in the pond which leads out to a 4000 gallon UV pressurized filter with media (Tetra BP4000 UV Bio-Active). That filter then shoots out to our waterfall where the water travels about 4 feet before drops down and recirculates water back into the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586187317155.gif
@rdwinokur
I do water changes now and then as my filtering system is not that great. I slowly allow water from our well to run in while at the same time slowly letting the same amount out. Works nice for me. I have a couple fish w/those similar bumps also and I have no clue why.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Koi pox. It won't kill the fish and probably go away when water gets real warm. I have a fish almost the same color and size with it. Only fish that ever has it and it goes away every summer. And comes back with fall/winter and cold water.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see lumps on the fish and I don't think they look like the photo's of koi pox I just looked up. The lumps just like this @rdwinokur posted above in his photo's are like my fishes and they never go away.

Koi pox photo from the internet:
koi-carp-pox-pictures.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
IDK but a marine biologist that owns the local fish store said mine was koi pox. And the look just like the op's pics.

Reaction score
If agree to them being tumors which I don’t believe has anything to do with water quality and wont slow your fish down like you are saying.

Ive had a walkin gf with tumors (Heron got him) and a koi now that has koi pox. The wakin had the tumors for years on end with not much change except some getting larger.Visually , the tumors always had skin pigment color reaching up into the tumor... like your fish.

koi Pox, as shown in your photo, “ looks like melted candle wax” on the koi’s skin and is suppose to go away as the fish ages, which is happening with my koi.

Either way, there’s nothing to do except watch him and keep him happy.

Ask a Question