help please found koi on their side

Reaction score
I just went out to my pond and found two fish dead and two of my koi swimming on their side. I immediately ran put them in a small fish tank in the house with stress coat. will they be ok , will they live? i am trying desperately to save these two fish. what can i do???? please help me. I had one in my pond that was my pride and joy and it died and a few years ago after looking for five years i found the fish i wanted for my pond he was beautiful, and went out the next morning and he was gone, only to find out from my neighbor that a heron had been to visit my pond and had breakfast. i cried like a baby. that day i had my husband build a net over the pond so this would never happen again!!
but please i need help with my two koi, please tell me how to save these two creatures that i love so much. i will appreciate all input. thank you ahead of time.

Kimmi

Reaction score
Need way more info. How did they die? Any wounds? How do the gills look? Could anything poisonous to fish have gotten into the pond? What are the ammonia and nitrate levels? How big are the fish? How many gallons is the pond? How many gallons is the tank? What filter are you using? Gph of pump? Aeration? Water dechlorinator? Ph? Salt? Etc...

Reaction score
Country
United States
First things first, try and calm down and then try and answer as many questions as possible:

Before posting please take a moment to think about what information could really help the other members to help you. If your question is about water quality then this is particularly important! Water quality can have a great impact on fish health. To help us better help you with your fish or water problems please read the following.

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for any issues to be identified. Therefore please answer these questions as completely as possible:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, Kimmi! I won't add anything to what's already been said. There's no way we (or anyone) can tell what happened to your fish without getting more information from you. Yes, please try to calm down, take a deep breath. Answer as many of the above questions as you can.

Oh, and I will add something..... Look at the fish. Is there anything different or unusual about their appearance? Are there marks on the body? Are there any discolored areas, or red streaks? Have you noticed any differences in their behavior recently, like flashing (swimming around real fast, jumping, or rubbing on things....), or gasping at the surface?

And where do you live? Do you use tap or well water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kimmi you are in good hands here but we are bound by protocos to ask questions about your water perameters when you do water changes clean your filters etc to give us a working idea about yourr pond and how you keep them, as nine times out of ten it is through failings in these areas that problems occur.
Are any of the koi in your pond new if so did you Qaurentine them if not why ?
We need to know all of what bettasangoldfish has asked of you
I've a feeling I know what it is but what you can describe to us now will help solidify my thoughts on the matter

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've a feeling that your koi may have a parasite possibly one of three to make them act like they are at this present time .Time is also of the essence here as it is important we treat them as early as they can be because as you have found these infestations can be fatal in some cases
Can you get your local koi dealership to do a scrape of your koi so that the results can be viewed under a microscope or do you yourself own a microscope ?
If so we can talk you through taking a scrape as its a relatively easy proceedure to do your microscope must be x40 - x100 for you to be able to view the results once we have this we can ge on and treat your koi wth the correct cobinastion of chemicals and for th correct amount of doses because certain parsites need to be dosed to rid the pond of the juvinille stages that hatch out after the first treatment .
Obviously these need also be eliminated or we will get a return of the problem and be back to square one again
Also can you take some photos of your koi in their tank please sometimes this also helps us identify what your up against

Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kimmi speed is of the essence if you wish to save your koi from a simmilar fate to the others please can you answer all he questions asked dont be affraid we arent going to tell you off if you've made a mistake or not done waterchanges etc weve all done it.
Did you break QT rules this may be where your problem first started but we eally do need to get a handle on this rapidly if you dont want to looose any more

Dave

Ask a Question