Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am trying to revive my Grandfather's pond - it was in its prime approximately 12 years ago - since then i doubt it has been touched.

It isn't a very large pond, it is in a tub/liner. approx 2m. I have cleared a lot of leaves out - which seemed to clear the water within a day or two.. also removed the duck weed from the top which I am now keeping on top of.

Have purchased an oxygenating plant - a week or so after clearing the pond of leaves there seems to be brown/black sludge floating in the water and covering the shelf. I am unsure whether to leave it or clear it? Have read lots of conflicting things, so after a bit of advice?

The only wildlife i have come across is a few common newts they seem to like the sludge which is also lying on the bottom of the pond.

Any advice would be gratefully received?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Do you have a filter running or a aerator? Take some pictures that really helps us know what you have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No - nothing like that. Its pretty bog standard..
I have skimmed the floating 'silt' off - you can see the remnants. the pond water is really murky - not sure if these pictures are any good.

POND.JPG
Pond Sludge.JPG

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Plants sold as oxygenation plants are misleading as they really do nothing in most ponds except fall apart. Water movement is all the oxygenation a pond needs. As stones and a sufficiently sized water pump are sufficient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) If you don't have anything living in the pond, you could drain it, to clean the sludge off the bottom. If that isn't possible, you could use a fine mesh pool net, to get out the debris. Once it's clear of the sludge and debris, you'll need to move the water. A pump, with a fountain head would be pretty, or just have it splash back into the pond.

If you plan on fish, you'll need a filter of some kind What type of filter you need, depends on how many gallons the pond is and what type of fish you plan to keep.

It's neat you want to reestablish your grandfather's pond. Don't get overwhelmed, take it step by step and you'll get there :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone - the only thing i can see living in there is a common newt or two... the reason i was worried about moving the sludge was because i read something about causing water pollution and disturbing the animals...?.. all be it just newts!

So.. I guess il get my net out! and get cleaning!

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I meant to say air stones and a sufficiently sized pump are enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are air stones? Do i have to have a pump or aerator? I was quite hoping that i wouldn't...? Is there a alternative to anything like that?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's something you need to keep after Grace. I net the junk out of my pond no less then 3 times a week.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A swimming pool net is the easiest .This is a good size and fine mesh if you can find something there like it .

Attachments

• 100_7182.JPG
    100_7182.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok! So we have a couple of plants! Cleared a barrow full of sludge out and keeping on top of the duck weed! Have about 8 newts and a few tadpoles.. have purchased a solar aerator! The water is still murky! getting better... but murky! I presume i now need a filter? Although above people have suggested a pump? Whats best?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think you need a filter. The solar aerator should be enough if yiu keep up with occasional manual cleaning.

Ask a Question