Help please

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is frustrating not knowing the cause of a fish's health issues. What you have described can be symptomatic of several different conditions, parasitic, bacterial and/or viral.
Can you determine from a close visual inspection if there are signs of parasites?
Have your fish spawned recently? Hard to tell from the photos, but your 'He' may be a 'She'.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No not notice any spawning bu i am still learning alot i have had it in a nett to check the marks its got feel waxy and did not notice anything tgat resembles parasites

How do you tell a he from a she i have noticed one of my koi that has got very fat

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How do you tell a he from a she i have noticed one of my koi that has got very fat

That is likely a female.
A male Koi's body shape is like a submarine, whereas a female has a more rounded body. Also a male's pectoral fins will be pointed, a female's fins will be rounded.

As to the fish in question, it may just be stressed by something. Continue to observe it for a few more days, monitoring whether the behavior changes ( i.e.stops eating) for the worse, stays the same, or improves.

Rich17

Hi all
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi someone sugested adding cooking salt to the pond but i dont know what do you reackon as you have been very helpful

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no salt like that it is iodized .If you must add salt it should be pond salt but these are not salt water fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
no salt like that it is iodized .If you must add salt it should be pond salt but these are not salt water fish
Sissy coooking salt is fine for ue in ponds its table salt you shouldnt use pond salt in our view is a bit of an expensive con , I keep a large sealed container of cooking salt just in case In should need it asap

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Rich17 your koi has a bad case of cotton wool fungus which you should treat immediately , the fungus is a secondary problem that has been allowed in because somethinghas damaged the protective mucus all fish have either by bad netting techniques or damage through jumping poorly maintained ponds and or filters spawning or poor diet parasitic infections and bacterial infections .
I would however suggest before treating this koi you must first identify that which has allowed the fungus to become a problem otherwise your peeing against the wind in treating the fungus outbreak.
Small areas of infection can be treated in the pond but large areas such as we see on this koi should be seperated off to a Quarantine tank before treatment.
The best way to treat these infections is by one of the many fungal remidies out there on the market which have differing levels of success the best way however is to topically treat the koi by first sedating it then with a cotton bug remove the fungus with a cooton wool bud then malachite green should be applied to the area before spraying the area with propolis .
However seeing as the infection is around the gill area care should be taken when applying the malachite green lest it do damage to the fishes gills.
Remember in future that prevention by keeping a clean system water filters etc , plus obeying the QT rules is the best way not to get fungal infections in the first place

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , I suspected fungus, but was reluctant to say so, as I'm not really experienced enough. Glad to have your expert opinion and have you posting again :)

Ask a Question