Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I’m wondering if anyone can help me. My pond is nearly 1 year old. I noticed one of my 18 goldfish has fin rot.. I have treated the pond 6 days ago with the chemical the fish shop supplied me with but the fish isn’t improving?. I have had my water tested witch they said is perfect..
all my goldfish still just sitting in 1 corner of the pond.. don’t really seem to move around the pond much at all . If I put food in they come up but that’s it..
I’m wondering if anyone could help me at all please??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi hcrocker, welcome to the forum, you need to tell us all about your pond,what size, depth, filter system if you have one, water parameters ie ammonia nitrite nitrate ph kh. pictures speak a thousand words. also stop putting chemicals in till you know what your dealing with, stop feeding its still too early they wont starve, also if your temperatures are the same as mine (i live in uk) then this cold snap we are having will make the fish slow right down, you say you had your water tested and its "perfect" post the numbers so the experts can help you sort out whats going on. and once again welcome to the forum:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Pond is 6ft by 3ft 4ft deep. Has a filter system I’ll have to check on the box what make it is...
that didn’t tell me any of the numbers they literally tested my water and said it’s fine other than the 1 fish with fin rot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi you need to get yourself a test kit not one of the strip/dip types but one that you use liquid reagents to test, i use colombo there are others nt labs but you do need one to check ammonia nitrite nitrate ph kh gh phosphate and post your results on here, i imagine it all sounds a bit daunting but get a kit post results and the good people here will tell you how to rectify any problems you have.(y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617818229756.gif
@Hcrocker
If it were me I might take only the 1 sick fish out and put him in the house to treat. Bring him in w/his pond water so as not to shock him. Lots of times they don't make it but sometimes you might get lucky.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Hi. Pond is 6ft by 3ft 4ft deep. Has a filter system I’ll have to check on the box what make it is...
that didn’t tell me any of the numbers they literally tested my water and said it’s fine other than the 1 fish with fin rot.
Please clarify if this feet or meters. Just curious since you are from the UK.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fin rot can almost immobilize as fish when it gets bad it's like leaches suching on the blood and poisoning the fish. If they are just sitting the and this may sound drastic but a pair of sharp scissors can do wonders. Fins are like fingernails. You don't even feel when they are cut UNLESS you cut into the cuticle. Well they don't have cuticles and I don't know what they are called but if you look at top of the fins and the outer most parts of the fin top bottom or sides there is a let's call it a bone it has blood in it and the fish can manipulate it to Raise the fin you don't want to cut this the fish will feel it. The fin will grow back. I belive magnesium pergonite a powder you can buy is what I got from my supplier. You make a small batch just enough to pour over the fish in a felt container cover them quickly and pull them out in like 5 seconds . I try to keep the gills out of the solution but never totally successful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And I'll second that advice to treat the sick fish outside of the pond. Never a fan of treating the whole pond, unless you have a pond full of problems!

Ask a Question