Help - Pond is too Shallow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I am really hoping to get some good advice from this group. Building my Koi pond took a great deal of effort. I got hung up on many different stages of the design I couldn’t find a great step-by-step guide or a good book. Eventually I pieced together the pond you see in the pictures. Eventually I added a pressurized filter and added koi. Everything seemed great for the first two months, last June and July.
The koi we’re doing well, then in August a Herron found the pond and began destroying all of the koi because it’s only 3 1/2 feet deep in the dead center. The remainder of the pond is only about 18 inches deep. I know now this is not deep enough.

I wonder if it would be possible for me to cut the liner about 12 inches in from the edges and then 12 inches out from the edge drop down from the 18 inches to 3 feet. Would I be able to join a piece of liner? I have attached some pictures and a video so you guys could take a look.

any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 05F9DE76-4C36-46F3-BCA4-F7751F737947.jpeg
    05F9DE76-4C36-46F3-BCA4-F7751F737947.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 114
  • B89FAFBD-1603-450F-99A1-22E71DBA692F.jpeg
    B89FAFBD-1603-450F-99A1-22E71DBA692F.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 113

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Sorry, but I can’t give you any advice for enlarging and piecing a liner. Personally, just from what I’ve read about it, it’s not something I ever want to try. But it can be done.

How big is your pond? It looks small for koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if you put up a net, you don't need to make the pond larger. Even if you don't like the look, you can make it removeable when you're enjoying the pond and put it back when you're not there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616196033900.gif
@Wetlands09
I use a net over my pond up high on posts so I can walk under it to get in if need be. It also hangs down the sides and I connect it to a short wire fence so critters can't get under it or through it. It is now as good as Fort Knox! It won't matter how deep your pond is for a heron. He/she will just walk up to the edge and wait forever till a fish comes to the surface and then jabs it. The bird has the patience of Job in the Bible,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi thank you, it’s 10x10 total
How many gallons of water? I agree that your pond looks a bit small for koi. Sadly, if you have a heron problem, the only sure-fire way to keep your fish safe is to net the entire pond. You can create caves & other hiding spots for the fish, but (as j.w put it) those birds have the patience of Job & will return to an easy hunting source until it's fished out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's you. but A simple answer is netting and or fishing line crossed over the pond. The only way to insure herons can't get your fish is to have pond banks over 30 inches higher then the water level. And no shallows less the 24"
Cover the pond with a net/
A dog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m reading that the minimum size for a koi pond should be 6x8x4, https://fishkeepingforever.com/minimum-pond-size-for-koi/ which confirms that the pond is too small for koi and if I want to have koi I will need to start over and make the entire pond four feet deep. UGH!
Well, yes & no. While there are a lot of opinions on the optimal (necessary) depth of a pond to keep koi, the main problem is lack of total water volume & the necessary filtration to keep up with a heavy waste load. Honestly, a 6 X 8 foot pond would be inappropriate for full grown koi (IMO) no matter how deep it is, because how in the world can a 3' fish comfortable swim when they're half the diameter of the pond? Personally, I'd go shallower (2 - 3') but with WAY more surface/swimming area. You do need at least 1000 gallons for your first koi, though, and around 500 additional gallons for each additional one (give or take)

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my pond is 10x10. Is the general consensus that if I were to take it all apart and start over and dug it to a depth of 3-4 feet it would ok for 3-4 koi? Anyone recommend any books or step by step guides for me to follow?

thanks everyone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's you. but A simple answer is netting and or fishing line crossed over the pond. The only way to insure herons can't get your fish is to have pond banks over 30 inches higher then the water level. And no shallows less the 24"
Cover the pond with a net/
A dog
don't forget you can also use a stool and a .22

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So my pond is 10x10. Is the general consensus that if I were to take it all apart and start over and dug it to a depth of 3-4 feet it would ok for 3-4 koi? Anyone recommend any books or step by step guides for me to follow?

thanks everyone
if you can incorporate a bog to filter your water, you'll be much more able to enjoy koi in that size pond. Search for threads here and see if the idea interests you.

Ask a Question