Help pond not cycling

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon above the ground pond. It has been established for 6 weeks. It added 4 Sarasa comets 4 weeks ago, it has 3 frog bit. and 3 jumbo Hyacinth plants in the pond. The comets and the plants are doing fine. My water is clear. I have my aerator, filter and UV Light running 24 X 7. My readings for PH are and have been a steady 7.0, Nitrite are and have been 0, Phosphate are and have been 0, Ammonia is and has been 0 except two readings it went to .25 and then 1.0 and now back to 0. I have a hard time thinking that was a cycle.

My question is am I doing something wrong and could I start adding some small Koi?

Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What is your concern? It sounds like everything is good.
As far as koi go, I hate to disappoint you, but most here will tell you your pond is too small for them. For one koi you need about 1,000 gallons, let alone as you say "some koi". Koi get real big fast and not only require a lot of space, but also create a lot of waste products. This over abundance of waste can disrupt the natural balance which can result in poor water conditions.
But don't get discouraged by my statements. I suggest you look into getting shubunkin. They are beautiful fancy finned fish that don't grow too large. You will enjoy their beautiful colors and large flowing fins.
You can get some goldfish, fancy goldfish, comets too.
Some of my koi died, (3 large ones 24" +) and I won't be replacing them with koi. Most likely will be getting more shubunkin. But there's another problem...my fish keep having babies, so that's stopping me from adding more!

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Get Shubunkin's like @poconojoe suggested. They have such pretty colors, kinda like mini koi.

Shubunkin's.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But there's another problem...my fish keep having babies, so that's stopping me from adding more!
One big reason I add no fish to the pond, I have plenty of home grown ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
could I start adding some small Koi?

There's that old oxymoron: "small koi" - there's really no such thing. That's like saying "small human" - they start out small but they don't stay that way! @poconojoe offered some good advice there. And I agree with him with his other question - it sounds like your pond is doing fine, so what's the concern? While testing the water is a good practice in the beginning, observation is also an important tool to sharpen. If everything looks good, then assume it's fine.

At 800 gallons I wouldn't add many more fish - your comets will fill that pond in no time flat. Unless you somehow miraculously managed to get four of the same sex!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol i have a barely over a first year pond and i have koi babies from last year that are 6" long and that's not counting the tails that are another 3" " butterfly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lol i have a barely over a first year pond and i have koi babies from last year that are 6" long and that's not counting the tails that are another 3" " butterfly
Yep, most koi grow real fast. From one season to another they can grow over 6 inches. It seems to depend on the fish itself. I have some koi that have grown over 2 feet, yet some have literally stopped growing at around 14 inches. Strange. Maybe it's the breed? I'm no expert, but maybe the smaller ones are the males? Anyone care to confirm or deny that guess?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
That pond will fit only 1 koi assuming you add plants in a bog. Once that koi is 2 feet... that's when the water will have a hard time without a bog.... a second koi will cause one of them to die IMO. It will take the koi about 2 years to get to two feet. You'll notice they will eat a lot at that size...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
If you add water weekly, you may want to check your water supply for ammonia. A lot of people forget to check the water supply going into the pond, which can be a source of headaches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon above the ground pond. It has been established for 6 weeks. It added 4 Sarasa comets 4 weeks ago, it has 3 frog bit. and 3 jumbo Hyacinth plants in the pond. The comets and the plants are doing fine. My water is clear. I have my aerator, filter and UV Light running 24 X 7. My readings for PH are and have been a steady 7.0, Nitrite are and have been 0, Phosphate are and have been 0, Ammonia is and has been 0 except two readings it went to .25 and then 1.0 and now back to 0. I have a hard time thinking that was a cycle.

My question is am I doing something wrong and could I start adding some small Koi?

Thank you

Ask a Question