Help! Quality coating or liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I’m a newbie on this site so have a little patience LOL

I have a small unique water feature that will contain fish. It is made out of quarter inch steel welded into a rectangular shape. The dimensions are approximately 3’ wide 4’ in length, and 2’ deep. I have tried to use a coating called rubberizeit and of course followed the directions impeccably. It will only last a year before it fails. I would use a regular EPDM product but the folds would seem to me be prone to leak points? With the wealth of knowledge on this forum is there a product that anyone can recommend to line this steel water feature?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Most probably it would after a while , we ourselves own a welded industrial thickness pond with bottom drain no holes no leaks

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Using EDPM does not mean you have to have folds. Withthe method used in the larger garden it is easier and faster to drape the liner into the excavation and work it into the corners. Where you have I assume 90 degree corners I would learn how to seam EDPM its a lot easier then most think. The garden pond 20 feet long is Capable of seaming most just try to avoid because seaming in the dirt is hardly ideal. The rubber can also be fully adhered to your metal walls and then have your corners abut each other then like you see in some of the garden pond videos you can apply a layer over the two with a overlap of about 4 inches you would not need to do all the corners but I would just to make them all look alike. and you will need a termination strip at the top if you do it right you should get 10 years anyways 20 if your lucky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using EDPM does not mean you have to have folds. Withthe method used in the larger garden it is easier and faster to drape the liner into the excavation and work it into the corners. Where you have I assume 90 degree corners I would learn how to seam EDPM its a lot easier then most think. The garden pond 20 feet long is Capable of seaming most just try to avoid because seaming in the dirt is hardly ideal. The rubber can also be fully adhered to your metal walls and then have your corners abut each other then like you see in some of the garden pond videos you can apply a layer over the two with a overlap of about 4 inches you would not need to do all the corners but I would just to make them all look alike. and you will need a termination strip at the top if you do it right you should get 10 years anyways 20 if your lucky

How would you “glue” the liner to the metal? I found that there is a company who welds a custom fit liner, but they are pricey for this size ($300) although it might be worth it if a no leak guarantee. Like the idea of trying to make a liner out of epdm and glue.....thanks for your advice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
300 bucks for custom JUMP AT IT IF IT'S DECEN'T .
It's basically contact cement. YOU TUBE

Ask a Question