Help!!! Rapid Dying Fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
2 weeks ago my kids brought home 4 gold fish from the local fair. With no where better to put them, I put them in my fish pond which has koi and goldfish. Now in the last week I've had 7 fish die, I'm not sure if this is coincidence or if I royally screwed up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Me personally would never trust fair or carnival fish. Imho they are ill kept with no regard to life. Again imho your best intentions screwed up. I know the better experts on here will ask about ph. Etc to help see if it's screw up or fluke. I really hope it was a fluke and you can prevent further looses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Side not if you can pull out the new ones asap and QT them asap

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sons did that to me but I had no fish to protect .Even plants should be quarantined

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to do that, I'll have to all but drain the pond due to rocks, Lilly pads, etc. I know absolutely nothing about these ponds tbh, I bought my house last October and it had the pond. Now since I've had it I've opened up the grasses around the pond and it has seemed to become even healthier, especially the vegetation. I've had no problems until recently and that has me worried

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not to be smart, how do you go about quarantining potentially a few dozen small fish and larger vegetation? I only have the pump and filter currently in my pond, and one smaller pump, no spare airiators

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Its a good possibility that the goldfish may have been ill and caused the deaths. If you can give us some info on your pond, size, gallon, filtration and if you test your water the latest results. Hopefully one of our fish health experts will give some ideas on what you need to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am really sorry to hear. Can you provide some pictures? Also, how big is pond?
7 feet x 6 round, 16 inches deep, I tried to upload a picture

Attachments

• IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6519.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 202
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its a good possibility that the goldfish may have been ill and caused the deaths. If you can give us some info on your pond, size, gallon, filtration and if you test your water the latest results. Hopefully one of our fish health experts will give some ideas on what you need to do.
I have not tested the water before, I can try to pick up a kit tomorrow. What exactly are you looking to be tested for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not to be smart, how do you go about quarantining potentially a few dozen small fish and larger vegetation? I only have the pump and filter currently in my pond, and one smaller pump, no spare airiators

Qt in a different holding tank would be the norm prior to releasing in to the main pond. I didn't mean all the fish just the new ones.

It kinda seems like the damge is done and you need to unfortunately ride out the storm with some adjust ments that I'll leave to the experts on this. But in my short amount of time I know they will want water test results. Other recent activities to pond. Meds. Chemicals New plants etc.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'll try to do that, I'll have to all but drain the pond due to rocks, Lilly pads, etc. I know absolutely nothing about these ponds tbh, I bought my house last October and it had the pond. Now since I've had it I've opened up the grasses around the pond and it has seemed to become even healthier, especially the vegetation. I've had no problems until recently and that has me worried
Dont drain the pond, not yet at least. The damage is already done if that is the cause. Pictures of the dead fish. If it's a disease there should be signs to help diagnose.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry you are losing fish. Hopefully you wont lose any more. The main thing is , any new fish need to be put in a quarantine area and watched for several weeks to make sure there is no disease. I didn't quarantine for years and luckily got away with it but didn't add very many fish and they came from reliable sources. All it takes is one sick fish to cause major problems.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have not tested the water before, I can try to pick up a kit tomorrow. What exactly are you looking to be tested for?

Looking for especially ammonia, nitrite and nitrates on the water testing part. How many fish are currently in the pond and size of fish? Your pond is not that big. I ask because adding a couple extra fish could overload your bio filtration if you are already pushing the limits of what it can handle. How many gph is your pump, ideally it should turn the pond volume over at least a couple times an hour on something that small.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What physical symptoms are/did the fish exhibit? Any external abnormalities like white spots, red streaks, or raged fins.? Unusual behavior?

Ask a Question