Help red spot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi forum I found this on my Kohaku today.
image.jpg

Please do identify my problem and the necessary steps I need to take to cure this? Extremely worried.:nailbiting::(.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like that this koi has damaged a scale perhaps whilst jumping who knows , the red area you are seeing is where the scale bed was.
If you look directly behind it you will see a scale that has been disloged keep an eye on it .
You will find that it should drop off at a later time, however you may get a little in the way of infection if this is the case a dab of malachite directly over the wound then coat with propolis
What normally happens with these type of injuries Alp is that the tend to heal themselves with nothing to worry about .
If you are at all worried as before use a dab of Malachite green over the wound then coat with propolis .
But as I have already said nature should heal this without intervention from you .
Alp I gave you the titles of a number of books you should buy from the internet, have you done so yet ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you Dave it's so nice to hear that my koi will be fine. I think I will let nature takes its corse and not interfere. I am so sorry Dave, I mean no disrespect but I think I have forgotten the titles of the books you told me to buy, if you don't mind could you please tell me the names of the books once more. Sorry and thank you so much.
Alpravinosh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem my friend the Titles you should buy are The Manual of Koi Health ISBN 9781842862377 by Keith Holmes and Tony Pitham .
Another good one for your level of entry to buy would be as follows Koi Health and Disease "Begginer to advanced Life Saving Technology No ISBN By Erik L Johson DVM , note he also did a 2006 reloaded version of this and there is also a brand new version of ths Called Koi Health and Disease 2 .
These books will put you in good stead for the future you will b able to secure a copy over the internet from Amazon Books under koi health books .
If you think the wound is turning bad please give me a shout but I dont think you'll need to my friend .
Remember what I said about netting technique come gently up behind the koi and lead it to the surface with a 22" pancake net, practice it Alp do you have a sock net my friend.....if not buy one they are very useful one for scooping the koi from the pancake net , then holding the bottom of the net and the handle you can move a koi from A to B then simply after putting the end of the net into either a bowl or plastic bag gently deposit the koi with no stress to it or you :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you Dave for the title I will surely get them. I sadly don't have a sock net as it's quite expansive and my koi is still quiet small so I am just going to wait on that. But I will surely get it later on. Thank you. I just have one more question how will I know if it has gotten worst like a bacteria infection?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Alp bad netting techniques are responsible for alott of the damage you can cause to koi, you have to learn to do it the right way so you will need the right stuff .
A sock net the smallest one retail at £18.00 UK which isnt that much check out the webpage if you still think you cant affoard one why not copy one from the photo :-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod1190.html

The pancake nets are the killers price wise with the cheapest retailing at £32.00:-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat99.html

Once you have the correct kit and the correct catching technique your koi will suffer little if no damage .
As to the wound getting a bacterial infection if you have done as I have asked there will be no danger of that.
But you would know if it became infected you would see an ulcer develope which would then have to be swabbed at the vets before you can treat the fish as you would need to know if the bacterial infection is either gram negative or gram positive.
It is only then can you treat your koi with the correct antibiotic.
Take the preventative steps at the start and you shouldnt get this problem

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Dave I will definately think of getting the sock net. As for the wound I see that it might be getting smaller, I take that as a good sign. Since, I am not quite comfortable handling the koi as yet I am going to leave it and watch under close observation. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For the books I am not comfortable buying them online so I am going to look for them in the book stores. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I found this pic while browsing the net and wonders if you'll can tell me what it is. That brown patch above the Tancho's head what is that.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi everyone would like to give you'll an update. The red patch on the Kohaku has disappeared but I can still see some discolouration. It looks a bit brownish and colourless. Is that a permanent thing just like a scab for human beings or will it go away? Here is a photo of my Kohaku.
image.jpg
You can't really see the patch, you have to look up close. Also please ignore the pink strain it's a reflection. It's still a tosai about 18-20 cm long. I have also uploaded a photo my lion head goldfish.It actually suffered from a massive skin loos due to my foolish use of a chemical to make my water clear.
image.jpg
I still do use the chemical but in a smaller dosage and it does not mind the goldfish now. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think the brown patch answers iself Alp[its the remains of a bruise], one that is all but washed out, [ as it would fade on us humans and as I said it would clear up] with no problem my friend
Ouestion Alp why arent you comfortable about getting your books online both Maria and I use it all the time your payments would be covered by pay palas such nothiing cold go wrong and if your not satisfied by the description or condition of the book you can always send it back.
We had a new book arrive today still in its plastic and a steal for £16.00 uk on Bacterial fish pathogens over 560 pages of information, this book in cost is normally thee figures in expence but by shopping around we got the bargain of the month so to speak you'll soon pick things up nd like Maria and ourselves become very savvy at it .:cool:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Dave, the reason for me and actually my entire family not using this internet money transfers is due to the bad experience faced by my mother. Quiet recently she did try and use this internet banking with success of getting the item purchased in proper condition. But the next day she got a mail saying a ledge some of cash has been removed from the credit card and sent to a account in the USA. She phoned the bank and after many days she was only refunded half of the money stolen. From then she bands any of us from using this Internet banking. So I am so sorry but I have to go the old fashion way of book hunting. Can't be as savvy as you'll. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont you have paypal it protects against this happenening , the worst thing ever to happen to us was a number of books not as described and we simply sent them back however I can see your reasoning Alp .
Once you have the books a great deal of understanding will come your way my friend

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Dave tried for so long but to no reward the answer is still no. Everything is fine though. Except for the new question I have posted. Thank you.

Ask a Question