Help! Red spots on floating fish

Reaction score
I found my first floating fish this morning. I haven't seen any of the fish very well for a while now due to green water and then heavy rain (very heavy, flooding etc).

Here are a few pictures of the fish. I am not sure what these red spots are. I don't think they are holes (as in a bird got him - even though there is a bird around). Looks more like a whole scale is missing.

He was floating at the surface. I thought he was dead, but when I netted him his mouth was moving. His tail looks pretty shredded. and he has these red spots. He does not seem to be able to right himself. I have him a bucket of pond water with an aerator. The water is murky, as I said its been raining like crazy here, peoples houses are flooded, shelters are open etc, so not much I can do about the water.

I can put him in a smaller pond or an aquarium if he's not contagious.

I am really hoping someone is going to say this is a spawning problem and swim bladder and everything is going to be okay! I love this fish. He's obviously a beauty!

@Dave 54

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish3.jpg
fish4.jpg

Reaction score
30 mins in the bucket, he's fighting, he's trying to right himself, although losing the fight. I guess the aerator is helping. I just read to add some salt. I want to transition him to some clean water ..... maybe one of the tanks, but I don't want to shock him.

I have a tank with mostly guppies and some guppy fry. I don't think they will bother him.

Thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Priscilla One thing you can do to help him stay upright is to lower the water level so it's just above him. Continue with aeration. If nothing else, he will be more comfortable and not use up as much energy by struggling.

I had an older fry last year that was injured [don't recall the details, maybe got trapped in something......], but was obvioulsy fighting to survive and fighting to stay upright. I had read this somewhere, so decided to try it. By the next morning, the fish was fine -- guess he just needed a rest.

Other than that, I have no advice for what's going on. I hope you can save it, though!

Reaction score
No tests yet, its still raining. I'll go out after I feed the little humans. All the other fish are fine. When I went out to throw some food in this morning, I found this guy.

He's managed to keep himself righted now in the bucket. Perhaps while he was down and out the other fish nibbled on him and his tail. Thank goodness I found him. Plus he was exposed to air, so I guess that's not good for his fins. They do look shredded though.

Just did another check, he is looking miles better. He has righted himself and is able to stay in one place, I thought he was dead so I moved the aerator and he swam fairly good compared to an hour ago when he was floating upside down. He's hanging in the middle and the bottom of the bucket now.

I'm feeling slightly optimistic.

Right now I think I will leave him in the bucket for another hour, then move him to the 10 gall guppy tank - unless someone thinks that's a bad idea. What would be the best way to transition him? Put him in a smaller bucket and do half pond, half aquarium water for 10 minutes then tip (gently) the whole thing in the aquarium?

The aquarium water is filtered city water. The pond is well water. I might empty half the tank and refill with well water just to make it easier.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Well that went down hill fast. By the time I got lunch heated up, the fish died.

We are all surprised, he really seemed to be perking up.

:(

First fish lost to some thing other than a bird.

Bummed.

Reaction score
I now know there was ammonia in the bucket of water he was in, so I guess that didn't help him.

When I tested the water ammonia showed up at 1

:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering are there corresponding holes on the other side of this fish from a bite mark perhaps from a snake or animal ?
The wound seems too small for a heron strike, it looks as this may be from the inside out or have been torn out .
Perhaps but to be honest I dont know so dont quote me on it Priscilla it may well be from a parasetic worm that lives in the fishes gut until ready to emerge I just dont know.
If I were a betting man I'd say snake bite , so what fish eating snakes do you have in the Camen''s ???
Thinking about it he shedding of the fins could have been as a result of panic after being bitten , it certtainly fits the senario

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question